Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#108674 by holmes4
Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:52 pm
Murphy is on the right track - using a switch instead of a router means that only one device connected to the switch will work. You should put a router between the modem and everything else. (Alternatively, you can put the Ooma between the modem and the switch and it will serve as a router.)
#108682 by Mr. Incredible
Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:28 pm
Hmmm, that makes sense but unfortunately my network panel doesn't have room for my router as well as the modem and have sufficient airflow for my airport. That thing gets pretty damn hot. If I put the Ooma in there, will I still be able to access and know that I have voicemails and such?

Sorry, new to this whole VOIP thing.
#108684 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 pm
Mr. Incredible wrote:I think I got it working. I decided to plug it directly into my Airport since it wouldn't be staying in the network panel anyway.

Everything seems to be working just fine now...

Right now I have it like this:
Modem --> Zonet zfs3018P Switch --> Airport --> Ooma

Would it work to have the Ooma plugged into an airport express in our home office? It is set up to extend our wifi range.

A switch acts as a port multiplier. It will take an IP address from the Router as pass it on to the attached device. It will pass as many IP addresses from the Router as there are ports in the Switch (although one Switch port is used for the inbound signal from the Router).

Most generally, to get the most use out of the Switch, the connection would be Modem-Router-Switch; and then connect the Ooma Telo to the Switch or Router.
#108705 by holmes4
Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 am
What were you using the switch for before? Did you have more than one device connected to the switch? I would not have expected that to work.

You could replace the switch with an inexpensive router - disable the wireless feature if it has it.
#108709 by Mr. Incredible
Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 am
the switch was being used in the network panel to go to a DirecTV DECA and then out to our great room (and ultimately my router). Maybe it wasn't working since it was just going to that little thing. I have it unplugged right now and haven't noticed any loss in my Directv service.
#108718 by holmes4
Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:14 pm
Perhaps you have configured the DECA for wireless access? It wouldn't affect your normal DirecTV service - you would notice if you tried to use VOD or the home sharing feature (if you had two DVRs). My guess is that the DECA never used the Ethernet connection to the switch.