Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107310 by Estiva
Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:46 pm
Again, thanks a lot for all your responses. Yes, I realized as I was taking out the wires, that there are 4 green and 4 red wires attached to it.

I will try to connect those 4 wires tomorrow morning and see how it goes. (It's too dark in my basement at night, :D )

One thing I am curious about is that I left my wiring as it is on my second picture and yet 2 of the 3 wall jacks still function? (One walljack is connected to a phone and the other walljack is connected to the Ooma Telo, only the 3rd walljack has no signal) How does that work?

Sorry if I'm asking noob questions, it is my first time tinkering with electrical wiring.
#107311 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm
One of the pairs must be connected to 2 walljacks (the one you are feeding ooma dialtone to and the one that currently can receive Ooma dialtone). If you feed your Ooma dialtone to the jack that doesn't receive Ooma dialtone, my thinking is that the 2 walljacks mentioned won't receive Ooma dialtone until you use the butt connectors.

As for why you have 4 wire pairs at the protector but only have 3 walljacks? Maye one pair goes into the house but goes to nowhere. Or there is a walljack you haven't found yet.
#107328 by Estiva
Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am
Alright, I just tried joining the 4 green and 4 red wires together using two splice connectors, as described.
Unfortunately there is still no signal going to one of the wall jacks. This is getting kind of frustrating!

Am I splicing the wires correctly? I placed the wires in each of the small holes inside the connectors after cutting the metal parts. Am I supposed to leave some copper exposed first?

Here is the photo after joining each of the 4 wires. I made sure the wire went in each connector as far as it could go and then snapped the button on the connector.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8593/img0279ar.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG (38.79 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
#107329 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:59 am
Just looking at the green wires, it seems you have connected all 4 wires together (I see you used a short jumper method).

The metal leads should be clipped as you have done but make sure all wires are inserted flush and all the way in (so crimping would have the metal blade puncture the insulation of all the wires to get to the metal conductors); looking at your red wires, take a look to see if all wires are punctured (seems some wires are not flush and not all the way in).

Another question, this jack that is not working, was it working when you had landline or you don't know?
#107331 by Estiva
Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 pm
Yes, I made sure all the wires are all the way inside each connector. I crimped the wires twice because I thought it didn't go all the way in correctly the first time, but still no luck on that wall jack.

That wall jack has been working fine. It carried a signal when used by the previous phone company and it carried the Oooma signal before I took out all the wires from the outlet.
#107332 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm
The thing I would do now is to check (visual inspection) each of the 4 connectors to make sure all 3 wires inside have insulation punctured by the blade when crimped.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests