Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107007 by waiau
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 am
:?: :?:
I bought the OOMA and have set everything up. My next step is to disconnect the land line so I can get a signal through my house. When I opened my NIB box, I am puzzled. To my surprise, the RJ plug has already been disconnected.

I recall the phone guy came and messed around with my wiring a number of years ago due to a signal problem. I recall he mentioned that he was going to splice line 1 to line 2 since I have 2 lines and I was only using 1. Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

My NIB is a mess. So I am lost on how to disconnect the land line. The common advice from this forum is that all I needed to do is to unplug my RJ jack in the NIB box but mine is already disconnected.

Please help.
Attachments
cut SMALL small NIB.jpg
Note RJ plug is not attached already
cut SMALL small NIB.jpg (219.92 KiB) Viewed 10828 times
#107024 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 am
You still have landline? Go disconnect the red & green wires from the block under the plastic swing door. See if you lose dialtone. If so, that's how you would disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company.
#107027 by waiau
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:34 am
Thank you. I do still have my land line active. I will try to disconnect the red/green wires. But is it on the left side of the box or the right side. Sorry, newbie at it and not sure what's the difference between the connections on the right versus the left side if the box.
#107028 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 am
The clear plastic swing door on the right. You can see the green and red wires coming out of it. Open the clear plastic swing door, you should be able to lift up a tab or something so you can just pull the wires out of a couple of small holes. To reconnect the wires, just put the wires back into their holes (green goes to tip and red goes to ring) and set the tab again.
#107038 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:37 pm
billinin wrote:Be carefull working with the two landline wires. During a ring cycle there is generally 96VAc @ 20HZ across the two wires.

While working on the right side, doing the thing with tab to release the wires should disconnect the wires from the left side (phone company) so no issues with handling those wires even if a call is to come in. I think these wires are fully insulated anyway without any metal leads exposed.

Later on, once you disconnect the house wires from the telephone company and you feed Ooma dialtone to one of your walljacks, make sure these green and red outside wires don't touch. If they have exposed metal leads, just cut them off.
#107099 by waiau
Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:34 am
Thank you very much. It worked! I disconnected the red/green wire behind the clear panel. I plug my ooma into one of the telephone jacks. I now can get a signal all over my house. It's great knowing that there are smart people who are here to help the newbies! BTW - the ooma is working flawlessly. I wish that I have done this much sooner. Bye Bye AT&T and my $85 monthly fee. Isn't competition great?

billinin - You are the BEST! :D :D :D :D
#107964 by dcm
Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 pm
I have an older juntion box on my house. It has a green wire and red wire and a black cable go into the box labeled for phone company only. I disconnected the green and red cable and the phone line died. I hooked up my OOMA to a phone jack but I don't have a dialtone on any other phone jacks. I have a new version of OOMA that is different than what is shown in the diagram on the OOMA website to do home distribution. Any suggestions on how to make the other jacks work?
#107965 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:01 pm
If you have more than 1 green, you need to connect them together.
Likewise, more than 1 red, you need to connect them together. Butt connectors are recommended.