Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#107003 by randyw57
Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:16 pm
When I first tried my Wireless Adapter my Ooma would turn blue for a minute or so.
Then go red.
Support had me establish a 'Default Host' in my Airport Express.
The Airport Express doesn't use the DMZ term that Ooma talks about.
But I think a Default Host is an IP that receives all the incoming traffic.
That's all we did. We didn't make any changes in the Ooma.
That worked for a while.
But after a few restarts of my Airport Express, etc. the Ooma stopped working.
I checked and the Ooma was no longer getting that IP that was set as the Default Host.

I really didn't understand the 'why' of what we did to enable the Wireless Adapter to start working.
Is it possible that the Wireless Adapter always needs to use the same IP address?
Or does it really need to see all the incoming traffic? Or some other reason?

After the Ooma stopped working again what I did on my own was to change the Default Host on
the Airport Express to 10.0.1.25. That's well above the range of addresses I need.
Then in the Airport Express I clicked on Internet/DHCP and set a DHCP Reservation for
10.0.1.30. I set that reservation to the MAC address of the Ooma Wireless Adapter.
That connected. The Ooma has the 10.0.1.30 address. It did turn blue.

But like I said, I'm just not sure what we are trying to accomplish here and why.
What's different about the way the Ooma uses the wireless connection and the way it uses the wired connection?

Thanks for any help or advice on this config.
#107005 by murphy
Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:49 am
The Ooma must have the same IP address every time it is restarted for the "default Host" IP address assignment to have any value. Assigning the IP address of the Ooma based on the wireless adapter's MAC address is the correct way to accomplish that.
#107013 by randyw57
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:02 am
OK, well, mine is not setup like that.
My Default Host in the AE is 10.0.1.25. There is nothing at that IP.
I'm reserving DHCP address 10.0.1.30 for the Ooma Wireless Adapter based on its MAC address.
My Ooma is working.

I still don't understand the need for the Default Host.
Do I have to have that when I'm running wireless? But I don't need it running via Ethernet?
And why does the Ooma need it?
#107018 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:32 am
randyw57 wrote:OK, well, mine is not setup like that.
My Default Host in the AE is 10.0.1.25. There is nothing at that IP.
I'm reserving DHCP address 10.0.1.30 for the Ooma Wireless Adapter based on its MAC address.
My Ooma is working.

I still don't understand the need for the Default Host.
Do I have to have that when I'm running wireless? But I don't need it running via Ethernet?
And why does the Ooma need it?

If using DHCP a different IP address may be issued to the Ooma Telo every time it is shut down and restarted.
#107048 by randyw57
Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm
Yep, I understand with DHCP the Ooma could get a different IP every time it restarts.
But wouldn't that happen if it was using a wired connection as well?

My Ooma seemed to be working fine with the wired connection.
I didn't make any router changes to accomplish that.
What changes with the wireless connection that requires the Ooma to get the same IP all the time?

Or does the Ooma always need the same IP every time it starts?
Maybe it was working in wired mode be sheer coincidence?
I didn't see anything in the installation about doing anything on the router before installing the Ooma.

Thanks.
#107051 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 pm
I always use the same IP address for my computers and Ooma devices.

I reserve an IP address with a permanent lease in my router for each device connected to the router.

I use the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle and have no problem. If you are using the Wi-Fi dongle, you have to reserve the IP address for the dongle, not the Internet port IP address. I reserve an IP address for both in my router, in case I change internet signal connections from the Wi-Fi USB dongle to Internet port Internet connections.

The MAC addresses and IP addresses can be viewed in Ooma Setup>Status>Ports. Access to Ooma Setup if the Ooma Telo is connected to a router LAN port, is with a network cable temporarily connected from the wired LAN port of a computer, to the Ooma Telo Home port. If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer, temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer. Reboot the Computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.

After you access Ooma Setup, you can setup port forwarding in the Advanced page. Port forward 172.27.35.1 port 80. This will allow you to access Ooma Setup without connecting to the Ooma Telo Home port. When accessing Ooma Setup in this manor, type http:// and the IP address that you assigned to the Wi-Fi dongle, or Internet Port, in your computer browser window.

If the same IP address is used for the Ooma, if there is a momentary Internet signal disruption, the reconnect will happen faster, which may prevent the flashing Red Ooma symbol.
#107062 by randyw57
Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm
Yes, I'm reserving an IP address for the MAC address of the Ooma Wireless Adapter.

Your last paragraph was very helpful.
When there are disruptions a reconnect is needed.
With regular DHCP does a reconnect always get the same IP as originally?
And with a reserved IP the reconnect goes faster.
Possibly there are more interruptions on a wireless connection than on a wired connection?

The Airport Express is a very nice router. But our Charter Internet service is pretty ragged.
They were just out today checking it and found that the signal levels were off and they need
to do something at the lobe. So this might all fit together.

Are all of your computers wireless? Any iOS devices?

Thanks for the help. I'll look into doing this kind of reserving on my network.
Other than the setup time, is there any real downside?
#107070 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:50 am
randyw57 wrote:With regular DHCP does a reconnect always get the same IP as originally?

No.
randyw57 wrote:Possibly there are more interruptions on a wireless connection than on a wired connection?

The imterruptions are usually from the Internet provider and an the same for a wired network connection and a Wi-Fi Internet connection.
But Wi-Fi usually takes a little longer to connect/reconnect then when using a network cable Internet connection.
randyw57 wrote:Are all of your computers wireless? Any iOS devices?

I have all of our computers configured to use Wi-Fi or Wired LAN cables.
No iOS devices.
randyw57 wrote:Thanks for the help. I'll look into doing this kind of reserving on my network.
Other than the setup time, is there any real downside?

Not that I'm aware of.
#107098 by randyw57
Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 am
Thanks, thunderbird.
This has been very helpful.
I'll make some changes.

And just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly - reserving an IP is a good/necessary move for at
least the Ooma. But the Ooma doesn't really need to be the Default Host.
#107105 by thunderbird
Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 pm
randyw57 wrote:Thanks, thunderbird.
This has been very helpful.
I'll make some changes.

And just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly - reserving an IP is a good/necessary move for at least the Ooma.

But the Ooma doesn't really need to be the Default Host.

Reserving an Ip is good/and most cases necessary.

I don't know what you mean by Default Host?
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.