Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105590 by JJThunder
Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 pm
Hi,
I am ready to connect ooma through my phone "jacks" but here is my challenge
I want to keep my DSL line for internet service but need help on how to do this. I understand that the phone demarcation point can be unplugged and then I can safely introduce the ooma system throughout, but by doing this I would lose my DSL service correct and ultimately ooma correct?

What steps do I take to introudce ooma into the phone ssytem for the house and maintain DSL service?

Thank you
#105593 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm
JJThunder wrote:Hi,
I am ready to connect ooma through my phone "jacks" but here is my challenge
I want to keep my DSL line for internet service but need help on how to do this. I understand that the phone demarcation point can be unplugged and then I can safely introduce the ooma system throughout, but by doing this I would lose my DSL service correct and ultimately ooma correct?

What steps do I take to introudce ooma into the phone ssytem for the house and maintain DSL service?

Thank you

It depends on how your DSL is configured in your home. Many times the House phone wiring can be disconnected at the DSL modem, or at the Splitter. Reference https://support.easystreet.com/internet ... t-your-dsl .
To make sure, disconnect the house phone wiring at the Modem or spliter and then test to make sure you still can access the Internet with a computer.

If you find this to be the case, you can disconnect the house Phone wiring at the modem or splitter. Then install a jumper from the Ooma Telo phone port to a house phone wall jack.
#105594 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm
JJThunder,
Here is a simpler approach....You currently have DSL coming in the house via pair 1 (blue is most likely). At the NID, take the blue pair off the screw terminals and then connect the orange pair instead to the screw terminals. This way, your DSL is coming in the house via pair 2 so your pair 1 is free to distribute Ooma dialtone. If you have more than 1 wire bunch connected to the screw terminals, you'd need to connect them together after taking them off the screw terminals using butt connectors (blue to blue and white/blue to white/blue); likewise, you need to connect multiple orange wires to the ring screw and white/orange to the tip screw. To access the DSL signal, for your modem, at the walljack (likely wired for pair 1), you'd need to use one of the L1+L2 splitters via the L2 port. Feed back Ooma's "phone" port to walljack's L1 via the splitter and you'd have Ooma dialtone on every jack. Details here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10553&start=0#p73638
#105976 by tbates57
Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm
My $.02

Do you have different phone numbers for your phone and DSL services (should show on you bill)? If only ONE number, then you can't disconnect just the voice side. Solution: have the phone company install a separate line for DSL.

Older construction apparently used a different color code - RG for L1 & BY for L2.

Good luck!