Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#105427 by General_T
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 pm
Hi,

Just installed Ooma today.

From what I have read IOT have all my other phones in the house (toal of 4 phone on a single line) powered with a dial tone, I have to plug the Ooma phone cable directly into a wall jack. I tried this and it seems to work.

My problem is that this leaves me without a phone where the Ooma is plugged in. How do I get a phone where the Ooma is? Do I use a splitter at the jack on the wall where the Ooma phone cable is plugged into? Or do I have to run another dedicated phone line IOT put a phone besode the Ooma?

Thanks
#105428 by southsound
Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 pm
A single line splitter will work just fine. You can plug in into the ooma or the wall - either will be great. Make sure it is a single line splitter - if it says L1 L2 on it, then it is to bring two lines into a single jack and will NOT work.

Don't forget to disconnect your home's wiring from the Network Interface Box that is probably outside your home. This isolates your home wiring from the telco and will prevent lots of problems. Usually this involves nothing more than just unplugging the little wire inside that box. The box will have two segments - one that is for the utility and one for the customer. The little plug will be on the customer side.

Welcome to ooma and to the forum! :P
#105599 by tadpolesuv
Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm
Sorry to jump on this thread but I was wondering where I could get more infomration about disconnecting the land line in the junction box.
#105600 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 pm
tadpolesuv wrote:Sorry to jump on this thread but I was wondering where I could get more infomration about disconnecting the land line in the junction box.

Here is a quick and dirty post about it. In the post, there is a link that would lead you to a comprehensive study of this subject. /viewtopic.php?t=14843#p103582