No landline installation option?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
BillA

No landline installation option?

Post by BillA » Sun May 03, 2009 10:27 am

If I don't have a landline, why can't I just go from the hub's PHONE jack to the wall and then wouldn't any phone in the house work w/o a scout?
Thanks for the feedback.

WayneDsr

Re: No landline installation option?

Post by WayneDsr » Sun May 03, 2009 10:30 am

Yep!

Wayne

thively

Post by thively » Sun May 03, 2009 11:20 am

That's what I do. Just "phone" jack back to the wall, then all phones in my house call through the hub.

t6man

Post by t6man » Mon May 04, 2009 8:18 am

Does the house wiring have to be physically disconnected from the street/phone company's wiring to do this?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 am

No, it doesn't, however there have been issues with the voltage (or noise) left on the line that interfers with the Scout, if you use one.
If you have the ability to disconnect the old landline connection from the house wiring, I would, just to avoid further issues.

Wayne

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon May 04, 2009 9:11 am

Disconnecting the home's internal wiring is not the intimidating task that it once was. For at least the last 30 years or so, telco's have installed a network interface box that has a simple method of disconnecting the home's wiring from the network. This is either a little cable with an RJ-11 plug on the end or a hinged RJ-11. The jack side (female) goes to the central office - the plug (male) goes to the house wiring. If you have more than one line wired in the house, you will have one of these plug/jack units for each line. If you ever decide to go back to a landline, all you need to do is replace the plug.

There is one cavaet - if you use DSL remember that your Internet connection will die if you disconnect the line that feeds your DSL modem. If that is your situation, you might consider changing the wiring that feeds your dsl modem to line 2 (the white/orange pair) and that leave the rest of the house able to just plug a phone into any jack, unmodified. If your network demarcation box uses the little wires, sometimes you can just plug the second line plug into the first jack. Then, at the location where your DSL modem is, either use a 2-line splitter (Radio Shack has them) or a wall plate with 2 jacks. Line 1 jack goes to the phone jack on the hub, line 2 goes to your DSL modem.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

t6man

Post by t6man » Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks guys! Sounds good - I guess even though I don't have too, I will go ahead and disconnect the line to the street since I use cable. Then I won't have to worry about ANY potential issues!

Thanks for the quick replies!

BillA

Post by BillA » Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am

Thank you all for the information and advise.

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 pm

.. I guess even though I don't have too, I will go ahead and disconnect the line to the street since I use cable. Then I won't have to worry about ANY potential issues!...
That is a good idea just in case the telco accidentally puts voltage on your line (guy on the pole up the street for example) - it can damage your ooma equipment

koehn

Post by koehn » Wed May 06, 2009 5:20 am

niknak wrote: That is a good idea just in case the telco accidentally puts voltage on your line (guy on the pole up the street for example) - it can damage your ooma equipment
It's also a good idea if (as in one case I installed) Qwest leaves the phone service active after the number port completes!