Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#8932 by gwb3
Sat May 02, 2009 5:24 pm
My home is wired to accommodate 2 lines. Currently my land line is line 1 and my OOMA line is line two. Both of my phones are 2-line phones; therefore, I have 4-wire cables from the wall to the phone.

It appears that the Scout is only set up for a 1-line phone. Can someone confirm this? I'm hesitant to plug a 2-line cable into the Scout for fear that it may cause damage until I determine that it will not. But even then since my OOMA line is line 2 I don't think the Scout will work properly.

My goal is to keep my 2-line phones with the OOMA line on line 2. Any ideas on how to wire this puppy up to make it work?
#8933 by southsound
Sat May 02, 2009 5:39 pm
I am going to assume that you are not using the "landline provisioning" that some do with ooma, but instead want a separate landline and a separate ooma line, but that both should appear on any two-line phones in your home. If that is the case, this is an easy one. Leave the landline on line 1 like it is now. Connect the phone port of your hub to the second line's wiring. You can do this by adding a jack for the hub (using the white/orange pair in your cable) or you can buy a 2-line splitter at Radio Shack to accomplish the task. Then you will have both lines appearing at each of your phone jacks.

One cavaet - if the telco didn't connect up the white/orange pair in your network termination box, you may have to do so yourself. Some homes are wired in a "daisy chain" where the wires go from location 1 to location 2 to location 3, while others use a "star: topology. It is in the case of the star that you would need to make the connection in the box. How do you check? Just try a phone in another location after making the connections above.

You really don't need to use the scout at all in this configuration.
#8934 by southsound
Sat May 02, 2009 5:53 pm
I just noticed your earlier post regarding setup showing the "phone line disconnected". This is normal when you choose not to "mingle" or "provision" your landline and ooma. It is how WayneDSR and I are using our ooma systems. What the screen is telling you is that ooma is not going to use your landline for any calls. There is an option to use your landline with ooma so the hub acts like a router - sending long distance over the ooma VOIP and local calls over your landline. This also sends 911 calls over the landline and acts as a fallback in a power failure. Like others, I wanted to keep my landline totally separate.

It sounds like you are already using the ooma to power the line 2 wiring in your house. Could you tell us why you are wanting to use the scout? Possibly the second line with Premier? I think that is how WayneDSR has his set up. Just a little more information then we could give some additional guidance. Mine is still packed up in the box in which it arrived.
#9020 by niknak
Sun May 03, 2009 7:37 pm
... Mine is still packed up in the box in which it arrived...

Sell it on Ebay!