Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#8879 by gwb3
Sat May 02, 2009 6:15 am
Some basic history and unique configuration is needed to follow my problems:
    - My house has a wiring closet where the cable modem sits.
    - I had AT&T CallVantage previously and it was working fine sitting behind my Linksys RSV4000 router..
    - I installed the OOMA router in the same configuration, but it did not work, so I moved it in front of my RSV4000.
    - I have several fixed IP devices in my home network and I did not want to go back and change IP addressing so I changed the OOMA router Home Address to 192.168.5.5. I also changed my RSV4000 from a Gateway to a Router and disabled be the DHCP Server (seems you cannot disable this option on OOMA). - After much trial and error I was able to get my home network working properly. and the OOMA device was able to connect to Internet.
    - However, when I plug the telephone cord into OOMA the panel still says Phone line disconnected.
    - I'm using the same cable as with AT&T CallVantage.
    - Note: I am wired for 2 phone lines but I moved in I had professionals wire this connection to so that the connection travels on line 2 while using a cable that is wired for only one line.

- Is this problem because I changed the IP address?
- Is there some reason why OOMA must operate in this fashion? Cannot it be a passive device to the network? This is not in any of the documentation and I could not find such information prior to ordering.
#8884 by WayneDsr
Sat May 02, 2009 7:10 am
Put the ooma hub back the way you had it, behind the router as you would a pc.
Power Cycle everything. Make sure you put ooma back to default.
If you need to reset ooma:

1) Remove the power for the ooma device

2) Hold down the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power and hold for 30 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

Unless you have a firewall in place ooma should work fine.

Wayne
#8931 by gwb3
Sat May 02, 2009 5:09 pm
OK, I have the unit set up as recommended and the OOMA router successfully connected to the internet, but just as before, it does not show that my phone line is connected with it plugged into the WALL socket. I plugged an old phone into the PHONE socket and got dial tone, so I unplugged the phone and moved the plug from my patch panel to the PHONE plug and not the base system is working.

I think Scout will work setup much easier.

I still wish there was advanced information on how this all worked. I'm proficient at networking and have a somewhat sophisticated home network.

Thanks.
#8941 by pkeegan
Sat May 02, 2009 9:27 pm
The Wall plug is used when connecting scouts to the system ie:

hub (Wall port)-> house telephone wiring (single twisted pair) -> scout ->phone.
Note: hub communicates with its own protocol to scout through house wiring. This communication often disrupts DSL signals so its best to keep
DSL separate from the wiring in this configuration.

The Phone plug on the hub ie:
hub (Phone plug) -> phone.
Note: This is the same as if the telco was powering the phone via a single twisted pair.

Most homes are prewired with several twisted pairs to each jack box. You can rewire the phone jacks in your home to fit your requirements.

If you have 2 line phones two twisted pairs of wires are utilized. The phones, depending on phone, may make use of all 4 wires (2 twisted pairs) in a single RJ-11 jack or you may have a 2 line phone which requires connection to 2 separate jacks.

I would recommend that you only use the wall port line of the hub to connect to scouts, no phones directly connected to this wiring. The phone plug of the hub should only be connected to actual phones without scouts. I realize others have different configurations but this is how I would do it.

Hope this helps.
#8966 by WayneDsr
Sun May 03, 2009 6:26 am
Pkeegan is right. That's the way it should be connected.
However if your ooma hub is in a closet with your cable modem (which I'm going to assume from your first post) then you probably can't use a phone connected to it.
In this case you may want to try connecting the PHONE port on the ooma hub to the wall jack. This would put ooma dial tone on all phone jacks on the house, allowing you to plug a phone in anywhere and get ooma. In this case a Scout may not be needed.

If a Scout is needed, then you need to connect the WALL port of the ooma hub to the wall jack also.

Wayne
#8969 by pkeegan
Sun May 03, 2009 7:36 am
Does anyone know how many phones you can safely connect to the Ooma hub's phone jack without ruining the hub either by power or circuit overload?
#8971 by WayneDsr
Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 am
This seems to be an age old question that never really gets answered.
Since most phones these days have their own power to ring, there is little power needed from the hub. Older phones may need a bit more.

There is an fcc statement in the back of the ooma user guide that states a total REN of 5.0. I don't believe this is ooma's limit, but at least it's a number we can use for now.

I HEARD third party that ooma has really no limit, but not sure how accurate that is.
So, add up the REN number of your phones and make sure it's not a crazy figure. REN number should be on the bottom of the phone, or base unit for cordless.
My cordless base for 3 phones says REN 0.1, not much.

Wayne
#8991 by pkeegan
Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am
WayneDSR thanks for the reply.
I feel comfortable now after looking at my phones as to what I can attach through the phone port of the hub.
Again thanks.