Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#103115 by chunyenlu
Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:31 am
Hi,

I requested the porting from AT&T to OOMA on Oct 22. The original estimated completed date was Nov 15. Then OOMA sent me another email yesterday. The email looks the same as the one I received the first time but the estimated date is changed to Dec 6.

That will make the porting time to become like 1.5 month. Is this normal? Does anyone have experiences of porting form AT&T to OOMA? How long does it usually take?

Thanks
#103118 by WJBertrand
Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:39 am
That's not normal I ported my number over from an AT&T land line in 3 days.
#103121 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:58 pm
chunyenlu wrote:That will make the porting time to become like 1.5 month. Is this normal? Does anyone have experiences of porting form AT&T to OOMA? How long does it usually take?

Based on previous reports, porting into Ooma from one of the big boys like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, etc should be within a week; 3 to 4 days have been the recent trend.

But that's based on the number port being "simple." (although any ports between Ooma and other carriers are "non-simple" because Ooma is a "reseller;" number porting actually happens at the XO, Level 3 and the likes who are Ooma's carriers; pure simple ports take max of 2 business days now based on FCC mandate with some exceptions) I am guessing your port is a "non-simple" port even on the AT&T side.

Criteria for Simple Ports: Current FCC Definition for Simple Ports

• Do not involve unbundled network elements
  • Involves an account only for a single line
  • Do not include complex switch translations (e.g., Centrex, ISDN, AIN services, remote call forwarding, or multiple services on the loop)
Good example related write-up: http://www.verizonbusiness.com/us/lnp/l ... /index.xml

FYI, you can take a look at your porting status here: https://my.ooma.com/porting_status
#103126 by chunyenlu
Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:46 pm
I am not sure if my landline porting should be classified as simple. I only have basic landline service from AT&Tand do not have any add-on package from them.

Chatted with OOMA support does not yield any information. They basically just said landline porting may take up to 4 weeks. When telling them that it is almost 4 weeks and the new deadline will make it surpass 4 weeks, they responded with that the porting time is not controlled by them but the original carrier. And they will try to make porting sooner. But never said anything about if there is any issue on the porting....

Seems like can only wait...
#103147 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:10 am
Your service likely involves unbundled network element or complex switch translations.
#103334 by chunyenlu
Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 am
Porting is finally done yesterday. Longer than I original anticipated. Still, I am happy that this is finally over.

Thanks for the help!