Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#102948 by TH3F3RN
Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:01 pm
Sorry for another thread discussing disconnecting land lines. I'm helping my in-laws get set up on Ooma and they'd like every jack in the house to be tied to Ooma. I know I can just disconnect the modular plugs and have one set of lines set to the Ooma dial tone, right? How do I get all of the lines working in closed circuit with the Ooma dial tone?
Attachments
Ooma.jpg
Ooma.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
#102953 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:55 am
Looks like you got 2 wire bunches going into the house with L1, L2, L3 tied together and perhaps, you possibly had 3 telephone lines going into the house?

I would just unplug the mdular plugs and call it "telephone company disconnected."

Take a phone cord, connect Ooma's "phone" port to a walljack and see if you get dialtone on other walljacks.
#102964 by TH3F3RN
Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:36 am
lbmofo wrote:Looks like you got 2 wire bunches going into the house with L1, L2, L3 tied together and perhaps, you possibly had 3 telephone lines going into the house?

I would just unplug the mdular plugs and call it "telephone company disconnected."

Take a phone cord, connect Ooma's "phone" port to a walljack and see if you get dialtone on other walljacks.

It does look like there were three lines at one point in time. Is there any way to tie all the lines together to get the Ooma dial tone on all of them?
#102966 by lbmofo
Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 am
Yes you can.

Keep modular plugs unplugged, connect all the rings together using a screw terminal (all the blue, green, orange wires currently connected to 3 screws to 1 screw) and all the tips together using another screw terminal (all the whites currently connected to 3 screws to 1 screw). Since you got 6 rings and 6 tips, putting 6 wires on 1 screw might be messy.

I would recommend using 3 wire butt connectors to connect 6 wires together (would take 4 connectors). Connect 3 wires first and then use another connector for 4th wire, then another for 5th wire and so on. Explained here: /viewtopic.php?t=14093#p98311

If you get the house wiring off the screw terminals, you can keep the modular plugs plugged in.

Phone wire coloring (ring, tip):