Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#102360 by pappyboy
Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:47 am
I've tried reading all the help here but am nervous to do the wrong thing. I recently ported and am using DSL internet. It works fine hooked up directly to telco but want to get it working through the jacks in the rest of the house. Bell has set my internet up as a dry loop and I have no dial tone in the wall jacks, but from what everyone is saying I have to fully disconnect or cut the phone service. Of course I don't want to loose my DSL service . As per the pics attached (it's a brand new house) a red/green wire at the box then it goes in the house to a small grey box then blue/white and red/green is fed to the ADSL splitter. As well the phone line comes out of the small grey box (wrapped grey wire) and travels on to the jacks. I think I should be just cutting this grey wire?? Could someone please provide the right advice. Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20121027-00171.jpg
IMG-20121027-00171.jpg (89.23 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
IMG-20121027-00170.jpg
IMG-20121027-00170.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
IMG-20121027-00169.jpg
IMG-20121027-00169.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
#102364 by pappyboy
Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:39 am
I don't follow, if I unplug the two phone wires in fig 2 or 3 I think you mean the red and green wire, then there will be no DSL service either coming into the house??
#102365 by lbmofo
Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:47 am
pappyboy, where is your DSL modem? Near the small gray box or plugged into a walljack somewhere in the house?
#102372 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:10 am
pappyboy wrote:I don't follow, if I unplug the two phone wires in fig 2 or 3 I think you mean the red and green wire, then there will be no DSL service either coming into the house??

No, the T & R terminal wires next the the word Phone, shown in your picture.

You can try a little trial and error. It won't hurt anything. Try removing the T & R terminal phone wires, if you check and don't have have DSL service, you can reconnect them.

It looks like you have the setup where you just push on the button above the wires that you want to remove, and just pull the wires out. Then tape the bare wires so that they don't short.

The test everything after you have connected the Ooma Telo Phone port with a phone cord to a House wall jack.
#102378 by pappyboy
Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:57 pm
Yes the DSL is plugged in directly from the ADSL/POTS box. If you notice there is a grey wire that continues on out of the grey box, this wire goes to all the phone jacks in the house, do I not have to disconnect or cut here?
#102383 by thunderbird
Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:43 pm
pappyboy wrote:Hi Thunderbird, did what you suggested and worked!! Thanks very much for your help. :)

I forgot to mention that if there were more then one wire in each terminal, that those wires probably go to different parts of the house and need to be connected together to be able to use all of the phone jacks through out your home.

But first just go around your home with a phone and check all phone jacks and make sure that they all have Ooma dial tone. If they do, you don't have to do any thing else, except maybe tag the removed wires.

Don't do the following step if Ooma Dial tone is found in every phone jack though out your home:
For example if there were two wires going into one terminal, then after taking those two wires out of the terminal, twist them to gether and then tape over them to insulate them from touching anything else. Do the same for the other Phone terminal wires.

The other thing that I usually do is attach a tag to each set of the removed wires with a short discription as to where they came from, so that years later, when someone wants to make so other changes, it makes it easier.