Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#100688 by DavidH
Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:19 pm
Hello all -

I am just starting out, and I thought I'd try the basic modem->ooma->router setup. Then I realized that I'm not sure that will work.

My current setup is with a Zyxel modem/wireless router combo unit, but I use it in bridge mode because I don't like the wireless capabilities of the unit. So my setup is modem(in bridge mode) -> router does the ppp login.

If I put the ooma between them, it doesn't work (which seems expected) so is there any way I can set things up this way?

The good news is that the router I bought is a Netgear WNDR3700 and it's awesome. So, I think I might have even better results using the Netgear QOS to make sure the Oooma device gets good throughput than I would with the Ooma device itself.

But, am I missing anything about how Ooma works? Is there any special reason that the Ooma device wants to be between the modem and the home network, or is it just so that it can apply QoS to it's benefit???

thanks! Dave
#100691 by Leeway
Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:28 pm
The Telo does not have to go between modem and router. Actually I think the majority of us have the best results with modem-router-Telo. I don't play with bridge mode so I can't be any help there but believe me there are plenty here who are experts and will surely arrive at a better hour.

Don't worry too much about QOS until you see how it all works. You will be amazed !!

And welcome to Ooma ! This forum is a huge help.

Donna
#100697 by jblock312
Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:19 am
The Telo can do PPPoE authentication. It is on the "Internet" tab of the setup page.
You could try Telo after the modem and then after the router and see which works better for you.
Mine works best modem-telo-router with PPPoE authentication on the modem. I just had to tweak the upstream qos a little from the default. Downstream is set to 0.
#100698 by WayneDsr
Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 am
I don't know what network speeds you have but I would let the Netgear do the work of QOS if you need it.

Wayne
#100753 by DavidH
Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:03 am
I average around 20m down and 10m up, but it varies. The line quality is pretty good.

What I most like about the Netgear is that it allows me to prioritize different things. Like, I have a Verizon Network extender because we are in a weak cell spot and I want that to be top QoS, too. Can the Ooma QoS handle multiple devices in QoS or just itself??
#100754 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:22 am
Just itself, but considering your network speeds you might not even need it. I'd stick with the Netgear controlling QOS if you find you need it.

Wayne
#100822 by DavidH
Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm
I can't get the Telo to authenticate via PPPoE. I am on Century Link using Zyxel q1000 router in bridge mode, and I'm sure the username/pw are correct. Very odd!

My initial experience with the service is that it has a slightly hollow sound, and I can hear myself a bit when I talk. This might be related to the corded headset that I use, but it wasn't a very pleasing sound. I wonder if my config can be improved upon.
#100829 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:47 pm
DavidH wrote:I can't get the Telo to authenticate via PPPoE. I am on Century Link using Zyxel q1000 router in bridge mode, and I'm sure the username/pw are correct. Very odd!

My initial experience with the service is that it has a slightly hollow sound, and I can hear myself a bit when I talk. This might be related to the corded headset that I use, but it wasn't a very pleasing sound. I wonder if my config can be improved upon.

Some times you have to temporarily connect Modem-Ooma-Computer only, leaving the Router disconnect and unpowered, to be able to enter the DSL name and password. You may have to go into My Network places in your Computer and disable the PPPoE connection, by right clicking on it, and then left clicking on disable, also, if you have that connection setup in your computer.

Also some times the service provider requires the Service Name: to be entered in Ooma Setup>Internet page PPPoE Options:, and it must be entered exactly as the service provider wants it. On the same Ooma Setup page, make sure following Connection type: you click on the down arrow and select PPPoE. When done on this page, go to the bottom and click on the Update Device button.

Then reconnect your setup as you wish.