Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#98161 by squiggly
Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 am
After I unplugged my DirecTV box's phone line from the wall jack, my problem with incoming calls interrupted with screeching fax sound stopped. Maybe that was the problem, maybe not.
Does anyone know if a DirecTV box phone hookup is compatible with Ooma?
Thanks.
#98163 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:34 am
Wasn't your problem due to fax machine in fax mode? Put your fax machine in telephone mode so it doesn't answer every call should solve your fax machine sound problem.
#98165 by squiggly
Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:44 am
no, that was not the problem. I had tried many things with the fax machine: set to manual mode, completely disconnected it, and a few others with no success. The only thing that worked was unplugging my DirecTV box from it's wall jack.
#98170 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:05 pm
You mean with DirectTV connected, you still have fax machine sound on incoming calls when you pick up your phone even when your fax machine is disconnected or powered off? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14030&p=98029#p98029

If that's the case, uplug your DirectTV receiver for 1 minute and then power back up.
#98176 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:38 pm
squiggly wrote:After I unplugged my DirecTV box's phone line from the wall jack, my problem with incoming calls interrupted with screeching fax sound stopped. Maybe that was the problem, maybe not.
Does anyone know if a DirecTV box phone hookup is compatible with Ooma?
Thanks.

Both Dish and DirecTV are compatible with Ooma. Both has to have *98 added for the Ooma Telo, *99 for the Ooma Hub, as a prefix to the number that is automatically dialed out each day by the Dish or the DirecTV box. If the the Dish or DirecTV box can't reach the number dialed, it will continue to dial the number over and over giving you the Fax like sounds.
Find the model number of your DirecTV box and look it up online for an owner's manual. The manual will tell you how to add the phone connection prefix.
If you continue to have problems, you may have to replace your DirecTV box with a serviceable unit.