Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97474 by bw082151
Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:55 pm
We moved from Mesa, AZ to Oceanside, CA. Call Ooma requested a local Oceanside number, which they gave me for $20.00.
My neighbor, who lives a block from me, in the same mobile home park. She called me a number of this over a six-week period and talked quite a bit. She got one phone bill changing her $25.00 for call me followed by another one charging her $40.00 for call me. The "local" number given to me by Ooma was not for Oceanside but Julian, CA was is 54.4 miles from my home. Every time she called me; she was calling long distance and we did not know it. I had to give her the $65.00 and called Ooma. After a long conversation with a "Supervisior". He admit they made a mistake but there was no way that they were going to reimburse me the $65.00. Changing numbers? BEWARE! learn from my mistake!

Bob W., Oceanside, CA
#97475 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:07 pm
Personal opinion.....I don't understand why you had to cough up the $65 when she is the one who called you. Caller's responsibilty to know how much each call is supposed to cost. But that's a whole different topic.

In any case, every landline I know would let the caller know "you must dial 1 to complete this call" if long distance; this is true even if same area code if the call is long distance. The caller must have known something wasn't right if required to dial 1. Even if you are kind enough to pay for her mistake, why would Ooma be responsible? If they gave you a number in the wrong area, I can understand them getting you a different number for free.
#97478 by dsinternet
Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:24 pm
This happened to me when I got a google voice number the first time. I was thinking all 651 area codes where local, but it turned out that some are long distance. My google voice number was long distance for family. I end up paying $10 to change my number. This was my mistake since I picked the number. So it can happen.
#97479 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:08 pm
Did your family know it was LD because they had to dial 1 or got charges after the fact without knowing?
#97480 by dsinternet
Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 am
The only reason I knew I picked the wrong google voice numbers was because my mother in law had long distance blocked and she could not call me. The sad part is that I was getting google numbers for about 6 of my family members (the same prefex with the last 4 numbers being our birthdays) so I made the mistake 6 different times. So I really paid $60 to get everything corrected. It was my mistake, but now we have local numbers with our birthdays as part of our numbers. Easy to remember. I learned that Red Wing is long distance when calling from the Twin Cities and they both have (651) area codes and you don't need to dial a "1". So I don't know what Ooma should have done in the first post. It is not easy for and individual to tell what is long distance. It's based on the area code and prefex. (???)-???-xxxx
#97481 by bw082151
Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:18 am
In Oceanside, You must dial a 1 even for local call, so we did not realize it was a LD number. Ooma admit their mistake but refused to pay for the damage.

Bob W, Oceanside
#97488 by dsinternet
Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:53 am
I understand your frustration. I am sure this rare and does not come up often. Does anyone know if there is a easy way to check what numbers are long distance? If I remember, I was able to pick my own 2nd Ooma number for my Premier, so I would be at fault if I picked a wrong number. If you requested an area code that was the same as yours then you might be at fault for that. Should VOIP be required to make sure you have a local number or should they just be required to get you the same area code. When I requested a number in the past I asked for a Twin Cities number; knowing that would be local. (this was after my google mistake...I learned my lesson)
#97494 by lbmofo
Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:02 pm
Bob W & dsinternet, what landline companies are you talking about (no 1 required to dial long distance).

I should elaborate on "every landline I know" = Verizon, Frontier, Qwest, CenturyLink.
If dialing local, at most 10 digit dialing.
If dialing long distance, 1 is required even if same area code.
Can anyone with other traditional landline carrier confirm the different experience (by Bob W & dsinternet)?
#97501 by dsinternet
Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:56 pm
I don't dial a "1" when I call from my Ooma phone right now. Its a setting that you can click on.
"Enable 10-digit dialing"
But your right. All land lines I think require a "1" But remember that some places make you dial a "1" for all calls.
Like I said before. I don't think anyone is to blame. Its one of those rare mistakes. I can see why someone might be upset however. Is there an easy way to find out if a number is long distance????
#97505 by lbmofo
Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:18 am
Check this out.

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php

Search the landline's Area Code (NPA) and Prefix (NXX) and click on the result (result may be at block level detail).

This will give you all the Area Code and Prefixes that are "local" for that landline.

For example, you can look up all the local prefixes for (651) 280 1xxxx.