Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#97094 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:30 pm
thunderbird wrote:set both the Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet Speeds to Zero, then test.

Better. Thanks for the advice. It's still not yet 'good' but at least it's better. :)
advanced.png
advanced.png (82.81 KiB) Viewed 1252 times

thunderbird wrote:The Ooma Setup pages should open.

What I do, on Linux, to access the Ooma Setup, with WiFi already running, is:
a) I connect the cat5 between the Ooma Telo and the Linux laptop
b) I run this command to put the Linux laptop ethernet board on the same subnet as the Ooma Telo
sudo ifconfig eth0 172.27.35.10
c) I then open a browser, and I go to http://172.27.35.1 which opens up the Ooma Setup page.

thunderbird wrote:In your Router, to may want to reserve the Wi-Fi dongle IP address with a permanent lease.

That is an interesting idea. I didn't know you 'could' do a permanent DHCP lease.

thunderbird wrote:find the current IP address that is asigned to the (Wireless) Wi-Fi dongle in the Ooma Setup>Status>Ports page

Interesting. I guess 'this' page is where I would add that Ooma Telo port-forwarding rule:
rule.png
rule.png (43.45 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
#97106 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 pm
rocksockdoc:
Yes the Ooma Setup Advance page is where the Portforwarding Rule is added.

You have an older Router that may not allow you to reserve an IP address with a permanent lease. Most newer Routers do.

When using Wi-Fi as the Internet connection for the Ooma Telo, you can not set up a static IP for the Ooma Telo in Ooma Setup.
#97113 by rocksockdoc
Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:53 am
thunderbird wrote:Ooma Setup Advance page is where the Portforwarding Rule is added.

I'm not sure what the purpose of port forwarding is.
Without port forwarding, I seem to get my phone calls now.
With port forwarding, what benefit would that give me?

It 'was' my understanding that port forwarding was needed because perhaps 'some' ports were being blocked by a firewall on my side (either my rooftop router or my home broadband router).

The 'evidence' at that time was that 'some' calls didn't come through. But now, as far as I know, all calls are coming through ... so if I'm getting all my incoming calls - is there any reason to port forward?