Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#96869 by Bluemoon1
Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:02 pm
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to Ooma. I've had it for only a couple of days. I followed the instructions to set it up - Modem-Ooma-Router - and didn't think too much about it until I looked at the forums. I've seen how some people configure it this way and others configure it - Modem-Router-Ooma. I've seen something about tweaking for 80% of upload mbs or something like that. I haven't really explored it enough. My question is regarding security. Is this configuration secure? I realize there's safety being behind a router (modem-router-Ooma), but I don't know enough about the Ooma to know the dangers of having it directly exposed to the internet or even if there are dangers for this device. This configuration was in the instructions for alternate setup to get the best call quality, and that's what I did.

Also, any hints or suggestions for newbies about anything else will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
#96899 by Bluemoon1
Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:49 pm
lbmofo wrote:Connect to the ooma device setup page (http://setup.ooma.com) from a computer connected to the “Home” port of ooma or through a router connected behind ooma.

Click on the Network tab.
Click on the radio button that says Use built in MAC address.
Click on Update.
Turn off modem, ooma, and Router.
Turn on modem and wait until it syncs with your ISP.
Turn on Ooma and wait till it completes start up.
Turn on the router.

Ibmofo, I guess when you wrote these instructions, the setup was different. In my setup page, there's no radio button to use the MAC address. The MAC address is on that page, but no way to select it. Is it possibly already in use now by default? Everything else you said, though, I can do. Any thoughts?
#96900 by murphy
Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:56 pm
It's on the Internet page in a Telo. (black)
It's on the Network page in the original Hub. (white)