Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#96848 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:35 pm
If you get dialtone on every walljack, then, there is no need to reconnect any wires. But if you lose dialtone on any walljack, that means, you may have to reconnect some wires. General rule is ring to ring and tip to tip (all ring tie together and all tip tie together when you have multiple sets of wire bunches).
#96850 by jstahl
Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:04 pm
You won't believe this, LB but I've unhooked every single wire from the black line and the black line ITSELF and I STILL have a dialtone!!! I think, at this point, I am going to have to forgo being able to use Ooma through my wall jacks. I just don't have the expertise to figure this stuff out.

I can't thank you enough, though, for your time and patience in replying to my posts. It's much appreciated.
#96851 by murphy
Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:49 pm
Who is your old phone company?
It's starting to sound like it's a cable company.
In that case you go to the cable company cable modem and disconnect the phone line from the back of the modem.
#96853 by jstahl
Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Wow, that was embarrassing. It's funny how you get something in your head about traditional phone service your entire life so my first thought when talking about "landlines" was to look at the service box on the house. Never even thought of my modem where my phone signal was coming from. Well, in any case, I learned something and hopefully others will benefit from my stupidity when reading this thread. At the very least, it's sure to generate a few laughs!

Thank you, LB.
#96855 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:17 pm
No worries. murphy pointed out the cable phone possibility. I was thinking the same thing but doubted it since if your number is with a cable company, it should be able to port out. Check on portability again.
#96857 by jstahl
Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:58 am
Yeah, I live in a somewhat rural area north of Pittsburgh and the cable company (Armstrong) is a local one and rather small so it didn't surprise me when I found out I couldn't port.

Thanks again for all your help (and Murphy's).
#96859 by highq
Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:06 pm
jstahl wrote:Yeah, I live in a somewhat rural area north of Pittsburgh and the cable company (Armstrong) is a local one and rather small so it didn't surprise me when I found out I couldn't port.

I am under the apprehension that the FCC mandate for number portabuility covers all carriers. What makes Armstronag exempt?
#96860 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:31 pm
I am not sure whether this non portability is due to Ooma carrier not having agreements in place but there are rural/mom-pop outfits that are still exempt from FCC port mandate.
#96884 by jstahl
Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:39 am
Here is the bulk of the email response I received from Ooma:

"...it does appear that your number remains not portable at this time due to lack of coverage. By lack of coverage we mean that our carriers do not have any Inter Connect Agreements with the rate centers/carriers in your area. In the vast majority of cases, porting a phone number is not a problem. However, there are circumstances (like yours) where we don't have a connection to the rate center. In those rare instances we cannot port a number to us. These agreements are typically harder to obtain in smaller, more rural areas. You may navigate to the following page if you'd like more information on inter connect agreements. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interconnect_agreement.