Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#8244 by mrmoonbeam
Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:45 pm
Ok, so being in IT, I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing.
I've reconfigured a number of firewalls and routers, both consumer grade and enterprise level.
So why is it, that accordingly to the processes I've been told, when I attempt to change my HOME IP from the default of 172.27.35.1 to something else (I prefer 192.168.15.1), the hub loses both Ooma access and internet access from inside the HOME network?

The Ooma lights flashes red, and despite getting an IP on the WAN side, the Ooma "tunnel" fails to come up per status. I can browse direct to the newly assigned IP just fine as well.

Virtually all of the posts I've come across have indicated you can use Ooma in various configurations, all of which work so long as you do NOT change the IP.

Has anyone been successful in changing this?
My only recourse has been to set it back to defaults every time.
I'd rather not have to modify all my networked items merely because my new router is unable to accomodate a simple IP change.

FYI, to be clear I leave the internet options as is, and change only the HOME settings.
#8245 by murphy
Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:54 pm
Do you have a router behind the ooma hub? Is it issuing IP addresses also?
You can not have the same subnet in two connected routers. The router won't know what to do with the packets. Let the hub issue 192.168.16.x addresses and the router issue 192.168.15.x addresses.
#8247 by mrmoonbeam
Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 pm
I had been doing some prep work as I am told my number port will go through tomorrow.
I have it currently setup as:
Cable Modem >
192.168.15.1 Vonage/Linksys router >
192.168.15.101 Ooma hub WAN/Network / 192.168.15.3 Ooma hub LAN/HOME >
192.168.16.1 Linksys Wireless router

Could be the prep work I've done using same subnets would do it.
Perhaps I'll try changing the HOME subnet to 192.168.17.1 (rather than 192.168.15.3) to verify it works, then change it back to the intended 192.168.15.1 once I can formally remove the Vonage router from the mix (after the port completes).

I should have seen that.
Thanks for the advice (a new set of eyes does wonders sometime).
I'll provide an update when I have time to change things around a bit more.
#8259 by murphy
Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 am
If the DHCP server in a router is enabled, the WAN and LAN must be on different subnets. It is the different subnet that results in the packet being sent through the WAN interface. If the subnet is the same, the packet stays on the LAN interface.
#8313 by mrmoonbeam
Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:41 pm
Well, as an update all is well.
The port went terriffically well as I could only have hoped for.

My Vonage router is now out of the loop, I have readjusted my home IP/LAN side for 192.168.15.1 as I had my original Linksys/Vonage router, and my internet access is actually faster as well.

All in all I am a happy customer.
Now on to modify my voicemail....

Anyone know how to access your VM from your phone, and not using the hub or scout directly?
#8316 by just4fn
Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:00 pm
Just call your own phone number. That will get you to voice mail