Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94986 by bmccollum
Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 pm
Tried to replace my long-standing Buffalo Tech WZR-HP-G300NH wireless router that I've been using for several years, with a new Linksys EA4500 wireless router.

Everything connected to the new router both via Ethernet cable and wirelessly works fine, with the exception of the Ooma Telo, which has its red light on the unit blinking.

When I disconnect the new router and reconnect the previous router (Buffalo Tech), the Ooma Telo once again functions perfectly.

Repeat again with the connection of the new router (Linksys) and the Ooma Telo once again blinks red and doesn't function.

The Buffalo Tech router's IP address is 192.168.11.1.

The new Linksys router's IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Could the difference in the IP addresses from one router to another be the sole source of the issue here?

The "old" Buffalo Tech router is the only router the Ooma Telo has ever been connected to, so I don't have any previous experience of reconfiguring the Ooma Telo to work with a new router.

Any suggestions on what to do to try to remedy this?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
#94987 by dknyinva
Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:42 am
red blinking indicating the Telo is attempting to communicate outbound. Couple of suggestions, but the easiest in your case is try to change the IP address of the new Linksys router to 192.168.11.1 and plug everything in again.

Good luck
#94988 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 am
bmccollum wrote:Tried to replace my long-standing Buffalo Tech WZR-HP-G300NH wireless router that I've been using for several years, with a new Linksys EA4500 wireless router.

Everything connected to the new router both via Ethernet cable and wirelessly works fine, with the exception of the Ooma Telo, which has its red light on the unit blinking.

When I disconnect the new router and reconnect the previous router (Buffalo Tech), the Ooma Telo once again functions perfectly.

Repeat again with the connection of the new router (Linksys) and the Ooma Telo once again blinks red and doesn't function.

The Buffalo Tech router's IP address is 192.168.11.1.

The new Linksys router's IP address is 192.168.1.1.

Could the difference in the IP addresses from one router to another be the sole source of the issue here?

The "old" Buffalo Tech router is the only router the Ooma Telo has ever been connected to, so I don't have any previous experience of reconfiguring the Ooma Telo to work with a new router.

Any suggestions on what to do to try to remedy this?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

You probably have an Static IP address set in the Ooma Telo.

You could access Ooma Setup, click on the Internet tab. Next following Connection Type: select Automatic or Dynamic (DHCP). At the bottom of the page click on Update device. Remove power from the Modem, New Router, and Ooma Telo. With the connection Modem-new Router-Ooma, repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the new Router. When the new Router is done booting, repower th Ooma Telo.

Or you could:

Connect the Ooma Telo to the old router and reboot the Ooma Telo. Then do a factory reset of the Ooma Telo. Factory Reset procedure below.

After the Factory reset takes effect, Remove power from the Modem, old Router, and Ooma Telo. With the connection Modem-new Router-Ooma, repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the new Router. When the new Router is done booting, repower th Ooma Telo.

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.