Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94261 by dandean
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 pm
I am a current Ooma customer. I was thinking of upgrading to Ooma premier primarily for two reasons:

1. Calling to Canada (where my daughter will be attending university later this year) and,

2. Migrating my wife's business line over to Premier's free second line.

My question is: how is that second line accessed? Do I physically connect her business phone to the Ooma Telo in some manner? (BTW - her business line is currently connected to a wall jack with service by Verizon)

Unfortunately, the Ooma Quick Start Guide that I have makes no mention of the connection method, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
#94262 by murphy
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm
There is only one physical phone line out of the Telo.
If you leave both numbers in the shared pool you can assign them unique ring tones.
Both numbers would ring on all phones.

With a Telo handset the handset can be configured as a personal device and then the second number can be assigned to the Telo handset. The second number would only ring on the Telo handset. The first number would not ring on the Telo handset.
The second number would have its own voice mail. Only one handset can be assigned to the second number so if its battery died the number would be out of service until the battery was recharged.
#94263 by dandean
Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 pm
Murph:

Thanks so much! You really helped me understand the whole configuration thing. Looks like I'll be adding a Telo Handset in addition to Premier.

Dan
#94266 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:30 pm
If you don't want both numbers to ring all the phones and want to keep them separate, here is one option that I think is very attractive.

Instead of making a Telo handset a personal device (1 number would be restricted to that 1 handset only), make the Telo itself a personal device.

This way, the "phone" port of the Telo would be restricted to 1 number (you can plug in a multi-handset DECT 6.0 phone system into the "phone" port).

For the other number, you can have up to 4 Telo handsets share that number.

I like this option because you have multiple handsets per number.

Related Info:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/personal-devices
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/personal-phone-number