Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94077 by DaveC
Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 pm
When I connect the Telo between my DSL Modem (SpeedStream 5100) and my router (NetGear WGT624) it does not connect to the internet, neither does the computer connected to the router? All works fine if I connect the Telo to one of the ports on the router. I understand that you can get better voice quality if you connect the Telo between the router and the modem.

Appreciate your comments, DaveC
#94080 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 pm
DaveC wrote:When I connect the Telo between my DSL Modem (SpeedStream 5100) and my router (NetGear WGT624) it does not connect to the internet, neither does the computer connected to the router? All works fine if I connect the Telo to one of the ports on the router. I understand that you can get better voice quality if you connect the Telo between the router and the modem.

Appreciate your comments, DaveC

First remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo and Router. Temporarily connect Modem-Ooma only. Since you are using DSL you probably using PPPoE along with a name and password. Access Ooma Setup using a network cable routed from the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of the computer. Repower the Modem. When the Modem done booting, Repower the Ooma Telo as far as it will boot, should be to the red flashing Ooma symbol. (If by chance that the Ooma boots to the Blue Ooma symbol, do nothing more, except to connect your router to the Ooma Home port and reboot the Router). But if the Ooma boots to the red flashing Ooma symbol, when the Ooma Telo is done booting, reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Click on the Internet tab. Click on the Connection type: down arrow and select PPPoE. Following PPPoE Options: type in the User Name and Password. Go to the bottom of the page and click on Update Device. Wait a little while and see if the Ooma symbol turns blue. If it doesn't, remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo and computer. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the computer. From there, reconfigure to Modem-Ooma-Router.
#94112 by DaveC
Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:08 pm
Thanks for the help. I accessed the Telo internet setup info using the http://172.27.35.1 as you described, put in my DSL username and password, and after about a minute the Telo connected to the network with a blue status indicator. I reconnected my wireless router and all is connected to the internet and working normally. (Modem--OOMA--Wireless Router--Computer) It would have been helpful if the Quick Start Guide had a few words about this.

Thanks, DaveC
#94696 by DavidofCanton
Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:49 am
Exact same issue but I have a cable modem (Arris TM402P110) with a D-Link (DIR-615) wireless router. When I put the Ooma between the modem and router I can't get an internet connection from my home computers connected to the router. Plus Ooma won't work. My wireless router uses a Dynamic IP (DHCP) connection.

I've gotten it to work using Modem-Wireless Router-Ooma but the call quality is unacceptable...it even drops the calls.

Please help

Dave
#94698 by murphy
Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:59 am
DavidofCanton wrote:Exact same issue but I have a cable modem (Arris TM402P110) with a D-Link (DIR-615) wireless router. When I put the Ooma between the modem and router I can't get an internet connection from my home computers connected to the router. Plus Ooma won't work. My wireless router uses a Dynamic IP (DHCP) connection.

I've gotten it to work using Modem-Wireless Router-Ooma but the call quality is unacceptable...it even drops the calls.

Please help

Dave

Did you power cycle the modem and if it has a battery either remove the battery or find the reset button on the back of the modem? That is an absolute requirement every time the connection to a cable modem is changed.
#94719 by DavidofCanton
Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 am
Did you power cycle the modem and if it has a battery either remove the battery or find the reset button on the back of the modem? That is an absolute requirement every time the connection to a cable modem is changed.

Yes, I have removed the battery but it still did not work. I spent about an hour on the phone with Ooma support people yesterday...the 1st one couldn't solve it and escalated it, then the "escalated" support couldn't solve either and suggested I take it back for another one...I'm not convinced it's a defect in the Ooma.

They asked if there's a firewall in the modem but I don't know. Also, since my cable modem includes a VOIP phone as well, I'm wondering if that has something to do with this issue???
#94727 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:56 am
DavidofCanton wrote:Exact same issue but I have a cable modem (Arris TM402P110) with a D-Link (DIR-615) wireless router. When I put the Ooma between the modem and router I can't get an internet connection from my home computers connected to the router. Plus Ooma won't work. My wireless router uses a Dynamic IP (DHCP) connection.

Please help
Dave

Can you normally connect two computers connected to the D-Link (DIR-615) wireless router's LAN ports using network cables, with the Ooma out of the picture and not connected, and Wi-Fi temporaily turned off in each computer? If not, DHCP may not be enabled in the Router.?

Some other things to try.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

Optional Aid to change Ooma connection from Modem-Ooma-Router connection to Modem-Router-Ooma connection:
Start with Modem-Ooma- Router connection with the Ooma Telo fully booted and operating normally. Right after the *#*#099 command is entered in the phone, and you have pressed the 1 button on the phone and hear the busy signal, and then hang up the phone, disconnect the Internet cable that is connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port. This should prevent the Ooma Telo from re-acquiring the Modem information, which may be preventing the Modem-Router LAN-Ooma connection. After the Ooma Telo reboots up to the red flashing Ooma symbol, remove power from the Ooma Telo. Before powering the Ooma Telo, reconnect Ooma-Router-Ooma. This procedure seems to lengthen the reset procedure, so be patient when nothing seems to be happening. Then repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo.

Something else you can try:
You can also access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in a computer connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, or a computer connected to a Router, that is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port. Make sure you reboot everything in order of connection.
When the Ooma Setup page opens, click on the Internet Tab. The Internet Settings page opens. To the right of Connection type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Go to the bottom if the page and under INTERNET Port MAC Address: select Use Built IN. The at the bottom of the page slect Update device. Reboot the Ooma Telo.
#94756 by turbo9
Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:40 am
@DavidOfCanton:

The reason that modem-ooma-router is recommended is so that the ooma has priority over the rest of your Internet traffic.

Should you opt for modem-router-ooma (like myself) you need to configure your router to prioritize your ooma traffic with the highest priority - this is usually called QoS in most routers.
#94856 by dansb
Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 pm
I have mentioned this issue previously without any resolution. I just begun using the Telo which replaced a Ooma hub due to chronic voice delay issues. The Telo is hooked up to my router. When I attempt to hook up modem-Ooma-router I lose my internet connectivity. I am unable to access the Ooma setup page as if the home port on the Telo is not working. I replaced the first Telo sent because the same thing happened and it did not appear the lights were blinking on the home network port. I doubt the port is bad on both units. I've hard wired my desktop to the Ooma device, turned off WiFi rebooted numerous times and still cannot get an ip address from the Telo. I really have tried everything with tech support and reading this forum. The phone works well right now and I assigned both the Lan port and the Telo on highest priority with the router (NetGear WNDR3700) As I stated it seems to be working well but I would like Premier service but reluctant without the ability to access the setup page. Even using my laptop does not resolve the issue. Also Tried shutting down firewalls, antivirus since the software on my desktop and laptop are similar. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
#94859 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 pm
This doesn't make sense. If you connect your laptop to the router, assuming you have DHCP set in the router, is an IP address assigned to the laptop? Can you browse the internet?

If the answer to both of the above is yes, then let's take a look at the Telo separately. First, disconnect the Telo from the router. Now connect only a phone to the phone port on the back of the Telo. Perform a factory reset of the Telo by dialing *#*#099. When the Telo has been successfully reset to factory defaults, connect your laptop to the Telo Home Port with a single known to be working ethernet cable. You should get an IP address from the Telo, if you don't, then reboot your laptop and see if you now get an IP address assigned by the Telo. Open a browser and type 172.27.35.1 in the address bar. This should take you to the Telo setup page.

If you were able to get to the Telo setup page, connect another known to be working ethernet cable from the Internet Port on the Telo to one of the LAN network ports on the router. Wait until the Telo logo turns blue.
Once it's blue, see if you can browse the internet on your laptop.

If this works, then you should have no problems being connected Modem>Router>Ooma. Set both the upload and download QoS settings in the Telo setup to zero. Access your Netgear router and set the QoS settings to 0 for download and 80% of your measured upload speed. Assign the QoS in the Netgear router for the Telo by MAC address. The MAC address of the Telo Internet Port will be one higher than the MAC address shown on the bottom of the Telo, or you can look at the bottom of the page at the Internet tab in the Telo setup.