Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#94076 by BACbill
Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:04 pm
I have spent numerous hours reading every post I can find to get my Ooma Telo to work successfully, but alas, I have run out of things to try. My situation is as follows: a) I am located in China b) my internet connection is 10Mbps but is very temperamental c) I have a Apple Airport Extreme router that is relatively new with updated firmware d) I have an Ooma telo with the Wifi adapter and the Bluetooth adapter e) I have the Ooma after my router f) I have reserved the MAC address of the Ooma in the router...although this seemed to cause a "double NAT error" which I ignored g) I am using a fixed MAC address in the Ooma h) Skype seems to work well for the most part....certainly BETTER than the Ooma

The Ooma resets frequently when I try to make calls. Where do I go from here?
#94078 by EX Bell
Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:39 pm
BACbill wrote:I have spent numerous hours reading every post I can find to get my Ooma Telo to work successfully, but alas, I have run out of things to try. My situation is as follows: a) I am located in China b) my internet connection is 10Mbps but is very temperamental c) I have a Apple Airport Extreme router that is relatively new with updated firmware d) I have an Ooma telo with the Wifi adapter and the Bluetooth adapter e) I have the Ooma after my router f) I have reserved the MAC address of the Ooma in the router...although this seemed to cause a "double NAT error" which I ignored g) I am using a fixed MAC address in the Ooma h) Skype seems to work well for the most part....certainly BETTER than the Ooma

a) You may have a delay to Ooma's servers which is too great from China. I think I read a post where someone else said it did not work well from China, but not sure. b) Ooma requires a stable internet connection for good voice quality. You may be on your second strike at this point. c) Apple routers don't support QoS, and this is a problem for voice quality and stability of the call when Ooma is after the router. You need to either give up on using Airport Extreme as your router or add a router with QoS capability after the modem, but before the Airport Extreme. d) You need a router that supports QoS over wireless networks, or you need to connect you Telo by direct ethernet. Take the bluetooth adapter out while you're troubleshooting to remove variables. e) Not a problem as long at the router traffic is managed by QoS. f) and g) are fine. h) Skype and Ooma work differently. Doesn't really help to compare.

Start by clicking here (on tab 2) and see if you can pass a basic test to qualify your connection for Ooma. If you can pass that, connect your telo directly to your modem (no WiFi for now) and then connect your computer (DHCP enabled) to the Home port of the Telo. Log into the Telo at 172.27.35.1 and use the Tools to check you connection again. If OK, you need to obtain a router with QoS capabilities. I recommend Cisco Linksys routers. I don't know what you have available to you there, but they are not all created equal. DLink if you can't get Cisco Linksys. Avoid Belkin, they don't work well and I couldn't get as good voice quality from their second to the top model, no matter the settings. When I reconnected to my Cisco Linksys, it was perfect again. Internet connection quality could be the biggest issue, they you may not allow it to work well, no matter what else you do. If you have internet that is not that good, I don't think I would use WiFi on top of it. Direct Ethernet is probably best in that scenario.

I have Time Capsule which is similar to Airport Extreme. I solved the missing QoS issue by adding a Cisco Linksys router as a gateway before the Time Capsule. Technically I have the Telo connected by ethernet to the Cisco Linksys router's switch, but it was connected to the Time Capsule switch before. Doesn't matter, either works fine as long at the Cisco Linksys router is managing the WAN connection with QoS. Here's how I setup my Time Capsule. and here's a guide how to setup a Cisco Linksys router to act as either a router or a gateway for your Airport Extream before you Telo. Do a factory reset on the Telo before you start to eliminate and issues.
#94079 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:54 pm
BACbill wrote:I have spent numerous hours reading every post I can find to get my Ooma Telo to work successfully, but alas, I have run out of things to try. My situation is as follows: a) I am located in China b) my internet connection is 10Mbps but is very temperamental c) I have a Apple Airport Extreme router that is relatively new with updated firmware d) I have an Ooma telo with the Wifi adapter and the Bluetooth adapter e) I have the Ooma after my router f) I have reserved the MAC address of the Ooma in the router...although this seemed to cause a "double NAT error" which I ignored g) I am using a fixed MAC address in the Ooma h) Skype seems to work well for the most part....certainly BETTER than the Ooma

Run http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest to see how your Internet connection is doing.

First Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds.
You need certain things besides the minimum Speeds:
Jitter (both). .............Should be less then 5ms
Packet Loss (both)........Should be Zero
Packet Discards...........Should be Zero
Packets out of order.....Should be Zero
Estimated MOS Score....Should be around 4

When we were in China about one year ago, I would have to reboot the Modem and Ooma up to twenty times to get a satisfactory Internet connection. I would run http://www.speedtest.net/ and check to make sure that the Internet connection IP address, located in the lower left corner the Speedtest.net page, would change every time I did the reboots. Since you are probably using PPPoE, I don't know if you can just reboot the Modem, or if you have to reboot the Router and/or Ooma also to get the IP address to change. But you can experiment and figure that out. There were times in the evening, when there was heavy Internet usage, that nothing worked, but then when there was less Internet usage, the China Ooma connection was very, very good, with clear voice and no noticeable delay.
#94081 by BACbill
Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 pm
Thanks guys for all the advise. I thought I'd report on the results I got from the tests you suggested I run.

On the Ooma test I ran the test 4 times and got 2 yellow lights and two red lights. Latency seemed to be a problem each time with a reading of 250-275 ms. My download speed seems to vary greatly from 946Kbps to 1734Kbps. The last test I ran I got the following:
Download speed: 1734Kbps
Upload speed: 525Kbps
Latency: 275ms
Jitter: 24ms

I ran Phonepower twice and got all green light both times. The last test showed the following results:
Download speed: 6.16Mbps
Upload speed: 468Kbps
Jitter: .1ms
Packet loss: 0

MOS score = 4.2

So the two different tests show very different results? Any ideas from these results?

Thanks!
#94085 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:15 am
BACbill wrote:Thanks guys for all the advise. I thought I'd report on the results I got from the tests you suggested I run.

On the Ooma test I ran the test 4 times and got 2 yellow lights and two red lights. Latency seemed to be a problem each time with a reading of 250-275 ms. My download speed seems to vary greatly from 946Kbps to 1734Kbps. The last test I ran I got the following:

I ran Phonepower twice and got all green light both times. The last test showed the following results:

MOS score = 4.2

So the two different tests show very different results? Any ideas from these results?

Thanks!

Quote: "Latency seemed to be a problem each time with a reading of 250-275 ms". When I was in China last year I had higher Latency also. But Latency will normally just cause delayed voice and maybe echo, not drop-outs, etc. In my case it didn't matter, the Ooma phone conversation was normal.

Phonepower Says your connection is exceptable. Try the following:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Try the following, but in your case I would set the Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings to 100% instead of 80%, because of your low Upload speed, and don't try to use any other LAN device when making calls. Try different Ooma Setup QoS settings if you have to.
Modem-Ooma-Router connection: Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
Modem-Router-Ooma connection:
Set Ooma Setup QoS settings to Zero.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
#94086 by murphy
Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:33 am
Verify that the MAC address that you reserved in your router is one higher than the MAC address printed on the Telo's label.
#94100 by EX Bell
Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 am
BACbill wrote:Thanks guys for all the advise. I thought I'd report on the results I got from the tests you suggested I run.

MOS score = 4.2

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about your download speeds, they're fine. The upload speed is above the min 380 kbps that Ooma says they require for the best voice quality, so you're OK with what you have for upload as well, but only if you don't do ANYTHING that has to do with upload while you're on the phone, unless you have a device on the network that is monitoring and controlling quality of service like the Telo or a good quality router with QoS capability. It's easy to test by running a test at speedtest.net while you're on the phone. You'll find that if the voice quality is fine, it instantly goes in the crapper when the upload portion of the tests starts. If you have a device that is properly controlling Quality of Service, you'll find that when the upload portion of the test starts, it will be much slower because it will only be able to use the portion of the upload bandwidth that was not reserved for the Telo (e.g. 20%) and the voice quality should remain stable. Did you try speed test built into the Ooma Tool located in their setup pages? Like I wrote before, you'd have to be connected Modem>Ooma>computer (on Home Port) with Ooma QoS settings to zero to see what you are really getting to the Telo. I found that my speed, even when direct ethernet to the Modem was always reading slower from the Telo, than when I run the Ooma (Ookla), Phonepower, or speedtest.net tests from my computer over WiFi or direct ethernet. The suggestion of 80% of upload for me anyway, is spot on. A good compromise between preserving the upload bandwidth that Ooma needs and still giving us a reasonable upload speed for sending data when Ooma is not in use.

The reason I didn't suggest the Phonepower test was because I thought it might not be as relevant from China, and it sounds like that was a correct assumption. I don't know if the Ooma test is using their own servers or a connection they lease from Ookla, but logic would point to an Ooma server, and therefor more relevant (although not everyone uses logic). The latency and jitter are going to be your two biggest issues to overcome. If the 24ms jitter reading is accurate, that's a show stopper right there. Thunderbird's first hand experience with Ooma in China says that you should try the multiple modem reboots like he suggested and calls when traffic is low. It's also possible that the monitoring and throttling that's reported as a normal Chinese government practice is just not going to be conducive to a consistent quality of service with the type of connection Ooma uses.