Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#93541 by dxt55
Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 pm
Is Ooma Hub's firewall as good as the ones that come in your typical consumer routers from Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, etc.?

I'm wondering if it's safe to connect a gigabit switch to the Ooma Hub and allow the Hub to be the router/firewall for a group of computers.
#93542 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 am
dxt55 wrote:Is Ooma Hub's firewall as good as the ones that come in your typical consumer routers from Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, etc.?

I'm wondering if it's safe to connect a gigabit switch to the Ooma Hub and allow the Hub to be the router/firewall for a group of computers.

I've never ever heard of an Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo ever being hacked. Many people do just what you are thinking of doing, connecting a switch to the Ooma device's Home port.
#93548 by EX Bell
Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:04 am
I don't recall seeing an SPI checkbox in the firmware, but if you verify it with SheildsUP!, it passes.
#93617 by dxt55
Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:30 pm
EX Bell wrote:I don't recall seeing an SPI checkbox in the firmware, but if you verify it with SheildsUP!, it passes.

It fails ShieldsUP! because of ping reply. I assume this is Ooma's way of checking if it can reach your device?