Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#93309 by cwradio
Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 pm
My problem:
I have a Motorola SURFboad wireless modem ( SBG901) wired directly connected to my PC. The PC talks to a Brother wireless printer (MFC J430W)) OK.
I now connect the Ooma Telo between the Motorola SURFboad wireless modem and the PC and I am unable to print to the Brother wirless printer. Remove the Ooma Telo and the printer works.
Any advice? Thanks
#93310 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm
With Ooma between the modem and your PC, your PC is on a different internal IP range than your printer.

I'd get an inexpensive switch like this http://amzn.com/B001BXNKXY and plug the switch into the modem, then plug your PC and Ooma into the switch (leave Ooma's Home Internet port empty). Your printing should work with this configuration.

After that, when you have time, do the optimal Ooma setup for after the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403
Last edited by lbmofo on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#93311 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 pm
cwradio wrote:My problem:
I have a Motorola SURFboad wireless modem ( SBG901) wired directly connected to my PC. The PC talks to a Brother wireless printer (MFC J430W)) OK.
I now connect the Ooma Telo between the Motorola SURFboad wireless modem and the PC and I am unable to print to the Brother wirless printer. Remove the Ooma Telo and the printer works.
Any advice? Thanks

If it were me, I'd either purchase the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle that can be plugged into the Ooma Telo USB port to establish a Wi-Fi connection, or purchase a Router. A Switch would probably work, but if you spend that kind of money for a good switch, you might as well just purchase a Router which will do a lot more things. If you purchase a router, most have Wi-Fi; get one that is Wireless Wi-Fi 802-11B/G/N, which is the faster Wi-Fi.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#93312 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:24 pm
Like thunderbird pointed out, you have options here. All depends on what you want to do. The switch is the quickest and cheapest since you already have router function built into the modem. You just don't have enough hard wired ethernet ports (you just have 1) on that modem/router unit. Also, if you get a router, the set up gets more complicated because there are 2 routers in the equation now (example, you got to make sure your printer and your pc are on the same router & not the other etc).
#93324 by jblock312
Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:05 am
I have a similar setup. For me, Ooma works better before the switch or router, and does a good job handing out IP addresses.
For $30, you can get an Edimax ew-7228apn from Newegg. It is basically a 5-port switch with wifi. Then your printer and computer will be on the same network. Mine works fine with a Brother MFC-J410W, which is probably similar to your printer.