Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#7872 by clhartung
Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 pm
Been having trouble with my Scout - think it's likely some internal wiring and issue with my DSL filter. But after reading all of the threads on phone network topology (ok, skimming...) and seeing how many have yet to resolve their issue (or have taken weeks to do so), I've decided that my time is worth more than my money.

Even though it's against my principles, and I really prefer to understand what the problem is and fix it, I'm just going to buy two more handsets for my cordless phone that's hooked to the hub and use the Scout for a paperweight.

It's a shame, and a waste of money, but my brain is already thanking me.

Just an idea for some of you pulling your hair out. I know that $40-100 is not insignificant to many people, especially today, but your sanity and your time may be worth the spend, unless you get your jollies playing around in the phone box! No judgment , I'm just sayin'! :)

Happy day, all!
#7873 by oomg
Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:21 pm
before you throw in the towel... what kind of unit did you have attached to the Scout?
#7874 by niknak
Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:34 pm
You really have to have a good understanding of your existing phone wiring and access to continuity test equipment, then

make sure no dialtone on house wiring
run from ooma to scout continuous
ooma wall port to scout wall port
and you are good to go

you can check scout by placing it right next to the hub and plugging in wall port to wall port and a phone into the scout phone port

if it works there, then you have wiring issues
#8622 by Soundjudgment
Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:43 am
Let's face it. As nice as having the Scout operate in an Ooma system, it is really there as an extension/convenience. If a client feels that the Scout subtracts from that overall experience, and their Remote-phone needs are best served with another Wireless-phone extension, and it works fine... then vola! It provides the experience and remote-operation they are searching for. Everyone's happy.

OP: Have your Wireless-phone and always remember, the Scout still stands ready to serve if ever needed (say the phone-extension breaks or loses power and won't charge up...or once you are off the old-fashioned copper DSL wiring, and onto a more powerful Internet connection such as Cable or Fiber... hint/hint). ;)