Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#90531 by sschultz1982
Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:07 pm
I'm unable to connect wireless with the ooma device.
I have verizon FIOS. Using a Actiontec MI424-WR router. Using WPA (PSK/TKIP) encryption. I have a 23 character password (I believe this is the issue, ooma may not accept passwords over 16 characters). I also have mac address filtering (only allow certain mac address on my wireless network) and have entered my ooma devices wireless mac address into the filter rules. Disabling my mac filters allowed ooma to see my SSID and register a signal strength (100%), but it was still unable to connect to the wireless network. I do not hide my SSID.

HELP!

I am unable to connect my ooma device to my wireless network.
#90533 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 pm
sschultz1982 wrote:I'm unable to connect wireless with the ooma device.
I have verizon FIOS. Using a Actiontec MI424-WR router. Using WPA (PSK/TKIP) encryption. I have a 23 character password (I believe this is the issue, ooma may not accept passwords over 16 characters). I also have mac address filtering (only allow certain mac address on my wireless network) and have entered my ooma devices wireless mac address into the filter rules. Disabling my mac filters allowed ooma to see my SSID and register a signal strength (100%), but it was still unable to connect to the wireless network. I do not hide my SSID.

HELP!

I am unable to connect my ooma device to my wireless network.

I just entered a 16 Character password and it worked fine with the Ooma Telo Wireless Wi-Fi Internet connection using WPA2 security. I believe up to a 32 Character password can be entered.
****Correction:**** The Ooma Telo is limited to using up to an 18 Character password for the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle Adapter, where as most Wi-Fi devices can use up to a 32 Charactor Wi-Fi password.

View topic: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12539&hilit=Wireless+Wi+Fi+adpater
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
#90552 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:22 am
sschultz1982 wrote:Thanks for the reply. My password does contain a "$" sign special character.

The Ooma Telo is limited to using up to an 18 Character password for the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle Adapter, where as most Wi-Fi devices can use up to a 32 Charactor Wi-Fi password.

The $ sign can be used as part of the password.
#90555 by sschultz1982
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:06 am
Any hope of a software patch to allow additional characters in the password? Documentation I've read states that
"The WPA preshared key should be a random sequence of either keyboard characters (upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and punctuation) at least 20 characters long or hexadecimal digits (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F) at least 24 hexadecimal digits long."

My password is 23 characters long. I need more password characters to utilize my wireless dongle!!!
#90556 by murphy
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:17 am
sschultz1982 wrote:Any hope of a software patch to allow additional characters in the password? Documentation I've read states that
"The WPA preshared key should be a random sequence of either keyboard characters (upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and punctuation) at least 20 characters long or hexadecimal digits (numbers 0-9 and letters A-F) at least 24 hexadecimal digits long."

My password is 23 characters long. I need more password characters to utilize my wireless dongle!!!

Those two requirements contradict each other.
An ASCII character contains two hexadecimal digits.
If 24 hexadecimal digits is sufficient then 12 characters is also sufficient.
The important requirement is that a key should not contain words that appear in a dictionary.
#90558 by murphy
Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:53 am
thunderbird wrote:
sschultz1982 wrote:Thanks for the reply. My password does contain a "$" sign special character.

The Ooma Telo is limited to using up to an 18 Character password for the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle Adapter, where as most Wi-Fi devices can use up to a 32 Charactor Wi-Fi password.

Where is the 18 character limit documented?
I am using a 26 character key that works just fine.

It's more likely that there may be a problem with special characters such as ampersand that have to be escaped because they have a special meaning in the C programming language.
#90560 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 am
murphy wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

Where is the 18 character limit documented?
I am using a 26 character key that works just fine.

It's more likely that there may be a problem with special characters such as ampersand that have to be escaped because they have a special meaning in the C programming language.

Go to Ooma Setup and click on the wireless tab, then select Scan for Networks. After selecting your Wireless Network, go to the Password block. Enter as many key strokes or Characters as you can.

The password block will only accept 18 key strokes or Characters.

How do you get 26 key strokes or characters in an 18 Character box?

I just checked again and I get the same results now, as when I checked this morning.
#90563 by murphy
Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:10 pm
Just keep typing and ignore the box. It takes my 26 character key and connects to the router.
#90566 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:38 pm
murphy wrote:Just keep typing and ignore the box. It takes my 26 character key and connects to the router.

You are correct Murphy.

I tested up to 32 Characters a few times and it worked every time.

I then entered 33 characters. My Router accepted the 33 Character password, even though the text next to the Wi-Fi Router password said that only 32 Characters could be used. My Test computer accepted the 33 Character password. Then the Ooma Telo accepted the 33 Character password.

So next I changed the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi password to the 32 Character password, leaving The 33 Character password in the Router.

When I rebooted the Ooma Telo, it became very "buggie" and unstable stopping at L1 & L2. I had to disconnect the USB hub to get the Ooma Telo to continue to boot. Then the Ooma Telo started broadcasting Handset paging enable, on and off, over and over, while continuing to boot to the red flashing Ooma symbol.

Next I set the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi password to 33 characters again and it connected fine.