Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#88744 by oostburg
Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:52 am
I keep reading about failed Telo units, and notice that some say to use a surge protector. What are people using? Does this make sense? What about protection through the network connection? I really do not want to spend another $200 is I can avoid it!!
#88747 by harry12
Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:06 pm
While this isn't strictly on your topic, I'd like to mention that I use a surge protector with my Hub. Both power and telephone line run through the SP. If nothing else, it makes me feel better.
#88754 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:22 pm
All my network electronics including ooma run through my UPS. I don't think a simple surge protector by itself is enough for any electronic equipment.
It's better than nothing, not much better.

Wayne
#88760 by dsinternet
Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:50 pm
I also use an UPS for my modem, router, and Ooma. I got a cheap one from Amazon for around $40. I feel better knowing my equipment will still stay on for a few mins after the power goes out. Most power failures only last a few seconds so this is a good solution for me. Spend a few dollars, look for the good ratings, and get a cheap UPS.
#88761 by tommies
Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:56 pm
I have cable modem, router, and telo on UPS. Also, the phone line from telo goes through the sp on the UPS before connecting to the house wiring, so does the incoming cable before connected to the modem.

I have my telo around Sep 09, and it keeps running well.

PS. I have a Uniden Dect. 6.0 cordless phone with a corded base, which keeps it base function when power down. With this setup, I have my phone working even with power outage for a short time.