Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87750 by edcatlett
Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 am
I suddenly can't get multiple computers to recognized a couple of different cloud services. (Dropbox & PogoPlug). It does not seem to be a firewall issue with my router so I am wondering if something changed with Ooma.

I am very seriously thinking about putting my Ooma downstream from my router (and opening up the ports Ooma needs) instead of the other way around. I have never really been comfortable having all of my internet services subject to the rather non-configurable Ooma black box.

Thoughts?
#87751 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:29 am
edcatlett wrote:I suddenly can't get multiple computers to recognized a couple of different cloud services. (Dropbox & PogoPlug). It does not seem to be a firewall issue with my router so I am wondering if something changed with Ooma.

I am very seriously thinking about putting my Ooma downstream from my router (and opening up the ports Ooma needs) instead of the other way around. I have never really been comfortable having all of my internet services subject to the rather non-configurable Ooma black box.

Thoughts?

Many people have their Ooma connection setup as Modem-Router-Ooma. I have my Ooma connected Modem-Router-Ooma and it functions very well. If your Router can be configured to give priority for VoIP devices, make that adjustment for the Ooma device. Some very few people may have Quality of Service issues with this connection. But with some minor adjustments in Ooma Setup, these problems can be corrected. Give it a try and see what happens. :)
#87753 by edcatlett
Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:51 am
I just took the Ooma box out of the equation and both Dropbox and Pogoplug are working perfectly again. Looks like I either get the Ooma to work downstream from the router or it gets returned.

NOT a happy customer. I don't like surprises.
#87754 by edcatlett
Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:55 am
Thanks thunderbird. How are your ports set up on the router?

Somewhere I found Ooma documentation on that but can't find it now.

I understand that they want this to be a consumer grade device and that is why it is a black box but when something changes overnight that kills some of my other functionality it really makes me think twice about whether I want this or not. This is especially true when my only option is to change the way the hardware is wired since I don't have any control panel for my Ooma that would let me open up the necessary ports.
#87755 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 am
edcatlett wrote:Thanks thunderbird. How are your ports set up on the router?

Somewhere I found Ooma documentation on that but can't find it now.

I understand that they want this to be a consumer grade device and that is why it is a black box but when something changes overnight that kills some of my other functionality it really makes me think twice about whether I want this or not. This is especially true when my only option is to change the way the hardware is wired since I don't have any control panel for my Ooma that would let me open up the necessary ports.

Many people with a Modem-Router-Ooma connection don't have to Port Forward or anything. They just plug in a network cable in the Ooma Internet port, and the other end of the cable into the Router LAN port. Most people don't connect anything into the Ooma Home port, due to network printing and file sharing problems.

Port forwarding:
With a Modem-Router-Ooma connection, you have to reserve an IP address with a permanent lease, in the Router for the Ooma Device. The port forward the ports listed at https://www.ooma.com/app/support/advance ... vice-ports is port forwarded for the IP address that was assigned to the Ooma device.
Some Routers do both steps above in one step.
Other people just put the Ooma devices IP address in the Router's DMZ. A permanent IP address for the Ooma device is still required.

If worried about LAN security, when using these configurations, make sure that all of your computers connected to your Router's LAN have Internet and Virus software installed, like Norton Internet Security. With Norton Internet Security and some of their other applications, the Norton Security Map can be enabled on each computer. The Trust Level of the Ooma Device is set to Restricted, which blocks all traffic to/from the Ooma device.

More information (but not requred for Port Forwarding):
To access Ooma Setup, temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi, if Wi-Fi is turned on in your computer. Reboot the computer. Type http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma setup pages opens.
#87762 by edcatlett
Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 am
Thanks for everything. It seems like everything is working properly right now but I am learning that can be the case with Ooma then the bottom falls out.