Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87389 by junie
Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:53 am
I am using one phone jack for my modem/router but there are 2 others in my apartment I would like to use with my old school phones. How do I do that? I have not tried plugging them in because I read somewhere that you had to check with your phone company to see if ?? had been disconnected. I am not very tech savvy and did not quite understand what they were talking about. Can someone clue me in on this whole process. The article also said if you tried to use the other jacks without checking on this ?? with the phone company you could damage your ooma.
#87395 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:09 am
If it was me, I'd just use the multi-handset DECT 6.0 phones in my Apt. Even if you figure out where to disconnect your unit from the telephone company (you really can't fully disconnect since it sounds like you have DSL?), there is a chance someone might mess with that and hook you back up again; this may damage your Ooma (unless where you disconnect is inside your apt).

With that said, if you can find where your apt wiring is connected to the telephone company and make sure you have your 2nd pair not connected to the phone company, you can make use of the L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters everywhere you want to have the old school phone accessing Ooma dialtone. Plug these splitters into your walljack in the apt, L1 would have your DSL so modem plugs into L1. You feed Ooma's "phone" port into L2 and you'd have these splitters by your old school phones and have the phones plug into L2. More info: viewtopic.php?t=10553#p73638
#87397 by junie
Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 am
Thanks lbmofo for once again coming to my aid. If it makes any difference I have dry loop stand alone dsl. I will read the link you posted and see what info I can gather from my phone company.......not expecting too much from them, they are useless.
I will get back after that if I have questions which imagine I shall. Do you think it can be disconnected inside the apt? I mean is that a possibility? Or is this something only the phone company could answer? I am pretty sure I am understanding what you are saying about the splitters. That all makes sense to me.
Darn I'm going to be p.o. if I cant use what I call a "real" phone...........guess that gives my age away.
Dont know what a DECT 6.0 phone is but does not sound like something I want to use...LOL
#87401 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:46 pm
YW. Where the apt phone wire can get disconnected from the telephone company, your facilities manager would know. The phone company won't come out unless you are signing up for service and for some reason the wires are not connected right.

As for the DECT 6.0 phones, almost all cordless phones are DECT 6.0 now. With these newer cordless phones, you only have to plug the base unit into a phone jack (in this case Ooma) and the rest of the handsets won't need any phone jacks near them (just need power outlet so you can charge them). It is a good solution for your situation; you can have many phones in your apt in different locations but only the base needs to be plugged into the Ooma "phone" port.