Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#87325 by Cullulloo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:24 pm
Just purchased Ooma telo and attached an old Uniden TUU 8860-2 to the hub. all is well with a good loud ring. Much to my surprise my companion wireless Uniden phone also works w/o needing a wire connection. All features fine except the ring which is slightly muted, but still strong enough to hear easily (I'm 67).

I need a third phone for my kitchen and am wondering if other wireless phones also provide the same compatibility as my Uniden. I'm particularly thinking of upgrading my wireless phones to the panasonic KX-TG6512 which has 3 handsets and scores well in consumer reports for $60. Will I still be able to hear the non-wired phones chirp?

This is all in lieu of purchasing 3 Ooma phones at $50 each.

thanks
#87326 by thunderbird
Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:35 pm
Cullulloo wrote:Just purchased Ooma telo and attached an old Uniden TUU 8860-2 to the hub. all is well with a good loud ring. Much to my surprise my companion wireless Uniden phone also works w/o needing a wire connection. All features fine except the ring which is slightly muted, but still strong enough to hear easily (I'm 67).

I need a third phone for my kitchen and am wondering if other wireless phones also provide the same compatibility as my Uniden. I'm particularly thinking of upgrading my wireless phones to the panasonic KX-TG6512 which has 3 handsets and scores well in consumer reports for $60. Will I still be able to hear the non-wired phones chirp?

This is all in lieu of purchasing 3 Ooma phones at $50 each.

thanks

The Panasonic KX-TG6512 is a DECT 6 phone system, which works best with Ooma phone systems.

I use a Panasonic DECT 6 Plus phone system that functions very well for us.
#87330 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:40 pm
Cullulloo, I am somewhat confused :)

Do you have any phones connected to the house walljack?

If so and If they ring, does that mean you are using your own landline number with Ooma without number porting?
#87332 by Cullulloo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:19 pm
I wasn't clear.

The only hard wire i have is between uniden #1 wireless and the Ooma telo.

#1 uniden hardwired to Ooma telo in office

#2 uniden unwired in kitchen still gets all features of #1 but with softer ring sound. It's getting the wireless signal from #1.
#87333 by Cullulloo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 pm
forgot to say

no phones posted to any house wall jack

phone # is the one I got from Ooma which, when I call it, rings at both phones loud ring in office, soft but serviceable ring in kitchen.
#87334 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:33 pm
Okay. Just making sure you are talking about plugging the base of a cordless phone system to Ooma and then using multiple cordless handsets that talk to the base station.

Any DECT 6.0 phone system would do. I personally would go pick one up from Costco. Under $20 per handset is good; under $15 per is much better. 3, 4, 5, even 6 handset systems are quite common.
#87337 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm
Cullulloo wrote:Thanks very much

I'll use your advice and get my Detc 6 phones at costco.

is the phone ring on your supplemental phones softer than that on your wired phone?

They should be the same. Have you tried the volume toggle on the handset? When you get a dialtone, you can adjust the earpiece volume that way but when not getting a dialtone, you can adjust the ringer volume.