Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#6276 by amcfarla
Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:58 pm
I just installed my Ooma box today, and it is installed this way (Cable Modem-Ooma-Router) well after doing that utorrent port is being blocked and my slingboxes no longer are viewable outside my network. I first added the ports from my slingboxes and utorrent to the port forward section on the http://setup.ooma.com/ website. That still did not resolve the issue. I then followed someone else's suggestion of changing the DHCP range to only one ip address (172.27.35.2 for the start and the end) and then put that ip address in the DMZ, and it still doesn't work. My router shows that correct 172.27.35.2 ip address. I then tried adding the ports to the port forward of the ooma box and using the DMZ since maybe just using the DMZ was the issue, still does not work. I have done all the instructions on restarting the devices after changing the addresses. The only way I can get my devices to work is to plug my Ooma into one of the ports on the router, but then I don't get the benefit of using the Ooma's QOS but my slingbox and utorrent all work the way they are supposed to. I have spent three hours trying to figure this out but I have not be able to resolve this issue from what everyone has been suggesting as fixes. The only thing I can think is that Networking Gods do not like me. Anyone have any suggestions I am all ears. Thank you.
#6283 by murphy
Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:40 am
Did you power cycle your cable modem after you connected ooma to it?
Do you realize that your public IP address will change when you do this?
If you are using DynDNS in your router, turn it off and run the DynDNS provided client on your computer.
#6285 by amcfarla
Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:05 am
I did disable Dyndns on my router(thought that was disabled before) and I am just using the desktop client. I set everything up and then restarted my cable modem. After doing that I am still unable to connect to my slingbox and utorrent software says the port I have opened is still closed. Any other ideas?
#6337 by lohertz
Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:14 pm
amcfarla wrote:The only way I can get my devices to work is to plug my Ooma into one of the ports on the router, but then I don't get the benefit of using the Ooma's QOS but my slingbox and utorrent all work the way they are supposed to.

That is my preferred method and I use the router's QoS. I also believe my router (and most others) do a much better job of traffic shaping than the Ooma.

I also tun DynDns from my router so that I can get to my servers and remote desktop into my main machine.

Ooma can not do DynDNS and is just not a viable option in front of the router.