Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#84297 by Calis
Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:20 pm
So, my Ooma telo died a few months ago. Since I installed it the way technical support insisted (before the router) after one previous problem, it took down my internet in the house. I will not do that again, I am 2100 miles away fro my family working. So I bought a new one at Costco, called customer service, had it assigned to my previous Ooma number and let it update..here. Then I boxed it up and send it home to my wife. She hooked it up, says she did it just as I told her to. I even taped up the ports on the back that she didn't need to use, so it should've been pretty foolproof. It does it's thing and then the top row keeps flashing. She can access the messages using the envelope button, but she cannot make or receive calls. Picking up the phone gives her a reorder (fast busy) tone, incoming calls dump straight to voicemail.

I have had her cycle the power a few times, does it need a reset? What can I do short of flying home and calling customer service?
#84301 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:17 pm
Calis:
First:
Have your wife press the Envelope button until the Envelope light turns yellow. Then have her press it again until it turns blue. Then test.

Next if that doesn't work:
Make sure your credit card information is up to date in My Ooma. Ooma will turn off you service if your credit card has expired.

Next if that doesn't work:
Have your wife power off the Ooma device for fifteen minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload your Ooma profile. Also have your wife power off the Modem and Router. Re-power the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, re-power the Ooma device or the Router, which ever is connected next in line. When that is done re-powering, re-power the last device, and test.

Next if that doesn't work (this is more of a long shot since it appears that your Ooma is getting some type of connection already, but you said that the top row of lights are flashing):
With a network cable, connect the Ooma device's Home port to one of the Router LAN ports. Access Ooma Setup with a network cable connected from the Ooma device's Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily disable Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer. Reboot the computer. Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup window opens. Click on Internet at the left side of the window. The Internet Settings page opens. Behind Connection Type click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device at the bottom of the page.
Remove power from the Modem, Router and Ooma device. Re-power the Modem. When the Modem is done powering, re-power the Router. When the Router is done powering, re-power the Ooma device.

Next if that doesn't work there may be a problem with your Ooma profile. Ooma Customer Service has to correct that problem.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#84350 by Calis
Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 am
Okay, I did update my credit card information, and will have her do the envelope thing and the powerdowns. The thing that confuses me is that I had it hooked up through my router here and it worked just fine. Granted, the hardware, network addresses and WAN addresses are different at home, but my router has assigned it an IP just fine there it seems, I have even set the Ooma IP up as DMZ through my router to see if that would help.

What sort of profile change could be required from customer service if these other measures don't work? Just curious.
#84353 by thunderbird
Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:44 am
Calis wrote:Okay, I did update my credit card information, and will have her do the envelope thing and the powerdowns. The thing that confuses me is that I had it hooked up through my router here and it worked just fine. Granted, the hardware, network addresses and WAN addresses are different at home, but my router has assigned it an IP just fine there it seems, I have even set the Ooma IP up as DMZ through my router to see if that would help.

What sort of profile change could be required from customer service if these other measures don't work? Just curious.

It's not so much of a "profile change" as a profile correction. An example is that sometimes the Ooma Tunnel malfunctions, and the correction for that has to come from the Ooma side.

The Dynamic (DHCP) setting in Ooma Setup - under Internet Settings, quote from Ooma, "Dynamic (DHCP) setting- Force the Telo to use DHCP on the TO INTERNET port. DHCP is commonly used on all types of Internet services".
This setting has worked for many people when they change from one Modem or Router to another Modem or Router.
#84405 by Calis
Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:24 am
Well, the envelope never would turn yellow. Today I am having her hook it up in front of the router to see if that works. I called customer care and they wouldn't help me unless I was sitting right next to the device. Even if I were sitting next to the device, I couldn't call them...as there is no cell phone coverage at my house...which is why she can't call too. So, I'm getting perturbed, and she's getting furious. Anything more technical such as hooking up the Ooma directly to the computer is simply not going to happen without me there.
#84407 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 am
Calis wrote:Well, the envelope never would turn yellow. Today I am having her hook it up in front of the router to see if that works. I called customer care and they wouldn't help me unless I was sitting right next to the device. Even if I were sitting next to the device, I couldn't call them...as there is no cell phone coverage at my house...which is why she can't call too. So, I'm getting perturbed, and she's getting furious. Anything more technical such as hooking up the Ooma directly to the computer is simply not going to happen without me there.

I know what you are saying. If connecting the Ooma device directly to the Modem doesn't work, maybe your wife has a girl friend or relative, that has a cell phone that has coverage in your home's area, that could come over and let her use the phone for a call to Ooma Customer Support? Place a three way call with her, Ooma and you on the line?