Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#81958 by grace98
Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 am
I have already one ooma telo and I am planning in getting another one. BUT i have just one router. Is there a way to connect two Ooma telos to one router, Each Ooma telo has one ethernet cable but the router has just one connection for ethernet cable. Can i use a splitter to be placed in the router so I can get two ethernet cables connected?
Any ideas??? :P

Thanks
Grace98
#81962 by thunderbird
Mon May 23, 2011 9:24 am
grace98 wrote:I have already one ooma telo and I am planning in getting another one. BUT i have just one router. Is there a way to connect two Ooma telos to one router, Each Ooma telo has one ethernet cable but the router has just one connection for ethernet cable. Can i use a splitter to be placed in the router so I can get two ethernet cables connected?
Any ideas??? :P

Thanks
Grace98

If the router has DHCP Configuration capabilities, you just need to purchase a Switch. I use two eight port switches with my router and they function very well.
#81975 by grace98
Mon May 23, 2011 11:51 am
Hi: I have no idea what DHCP configuration capabilitis are. I just know the meaning: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, but still I do not know what it implies.

I have a Netgear N300 wireless router. Do you or anybody else know if that router has those capabilities?
#81978 by highq
Mon May 23, 2011 12:24 pm
grace98 wrote:I have a Netgear N300 wireless router. Do you or anybody else know if that router has those capabilities?
Google fetched me the manual for the N300, and yes, it provides DHCP services.
#81980 by highq
Mon May 23, 2011 12:30 pm
grace98 wrote:Hi: I have no idea what DHCP configuration capabilitis are. I just know the meaning: Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, but still I do not know what it implies.

Every device on a network needs to have an IP (Internet Protocol) number.

This can be a static number, or the device can use DHCP (Dynamic Host ConfigurationProtocol), which searches for a DHCP server over its ethernet connection, or via a WiFi broadcast.

Such a server is typically run by a router; it will dole out a number from its pool of addresses for the use of the requesting device. The device has thus acquired a dynamic, not static, IP address. The dynamic assignment is actually a lease, valid for some chunk of time, but typically auto-renewed as necessary. (The same device reconnecting to the same server will most often receive the same IP number, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it's a static address.)

I am personally heavily biased against using DHCP for devices which are physically fixed in space, like a desktop computer or a printer. I think DHCP is only appropriate for mobile equipment which is going to want to connect to various servers as it is carried to coffee shops or offices other than my own. So while my computer runs a DHCP service for the sake of laptop-toting guests, my printer, my Ooma, and several computers on my network all have staticIP addresses.

There are plenty of DHCP FAQ and Wiki pages where you can plunge into more detail.
#81982 by grace98
Mon May 23, 2011 1:11 pm
Hi:
If I understand correctly, Do I have to pay for this additional router services?

If so, To whom? on average how much per month?

I have a cable internet connection. Is that service included in my internet service or this is something very different?
Thanks
Grace98
#81983 by highq
Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm
The router is running a DHCP service. Nothing upstream (back over your connection to the world) knows anything about it), so noone or no entity can possibly charge you for doing so.
#81984 by thunderbird
Mon May 23, 2011 1:28 pm
grace98 wrote:Hi:
If I understand correctly, Do I have to pay for this additional router services?

If so, To whom? on average how much per month?

I have a cable internet connection. Is that service included in my internet service or this is something very different?
Thanks
Grace98

highq wrote:The router is running a DHCP service. Nothing upstream (back over your connection to the world) knows anything about it), so no one or no entity can possibly charge you for doing so.

highq is right. All you have to do is buy a Switch and plug it into your router. Than plug both Ooma Telos into the switch. You can plug other things into the switch also, like a network wired computer.
#81986 by grace98
Mon May 23, 2011 1:32 pm
Thanks for all of your answers. :D
Just one more question:
What type of switch.
Should i just ask for a "router switch" or does it have a special name?
Thanks
Grace98