Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#81050 by G Skwared
Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 am
My modem and router are in my basement and I want to install my ooma in the Kitchen. Is it possible to plug a Cat5e cable into the "To internet" connector and not pass all my internet traffic from my router throught the Ooma? Basically I dont want my ooma in the basement. When I originally tried to do this, I lost all internet traffic at my house. Any suggestions or can someone point me to the right area to get answers or configuration info?

-G
#81055 by murphy
Tue May 10, 2011 9:41 am
You can connect the "To Internet" port of theTelo to a LAN port of your router.
I have been running mine that way since day 1.
As long as your router doesn't have the outbound ports locked down it will work fine.
#81060 by ajw522
Tue May 10, 2011 11:00 am
You can plug your Ooma into any Cat5e jack that has a live internet connection.
#81062 by nn5i
Tue May 10, 2011 11:00 am
Yes, you can do that. It's better in many ways. But -- forgive me -- why didn't you just try it?
#81116 by G Skwared
Wed May 11, 2011 8:09 am
I did try it but it brough my network down. I wanst sure if there was a configuration setting I was missing. I currently use a Linksys DIR-655 router and I was having issues.The ooma slows down my internet connection also thats why I want it behind my router.
#81156 by nn5i
Wed May 11, 2011 4:55 pm
When you make configuration changes of that sort you ought to (read must) reboot the modem, router, and Ooma in order starting with the modem, then whatever is fed by the modem (the router, one hopes), then whatever is fed by that (the Ooma, one hopes). That way each can connect to whatever feeds it, and exchange addresses with it. If you don't do this, either your Internet or the Ooma, or both, may not work.

When I say "reboot", the easiest way to do that is to unplug its power, wait ten seconds or so, and plug it back in. Then wait a while (three minutes is always enough), and plug in the next box, wait for it to come up, and proceed to the next box.