Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#80675 by 8587925758
Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 pm
Currently we us a suedo 4 line system in our business (Retail store). 1,000 square area no offices, with 4 phones throughout the store. We don't use a phone system, rather we have 2 sets of ATT land lines with rollover. So basically we have two main lines with backup rollover numbers for each line (unpublished numbers). We have Four 4-line phones with lines 1/2 and lines 3/4. Line one rolls over to line two and line three rolls over to line four.

What I like to doe is to use the current phones in the store and some how attach OOMA to the wired lines in the store. I want to portal over our two main numbers (and don't care about the rollover numbers). What equipment is required from OOMA for me to run two SEPARATE lines so each have rollover capability and can be answered by our in house 4 line phones. I'm assuming I need to add one additional number to each main numbers ($4.99/ea) to use the the rollover capability. To use the in store wire lines I will need to disconnect the hard wiring at the main box outside. Years ago we had an installer run wiring into the store. We have some kind of small wiring hub.

One more question. We also have an 800 number (used by another service other than ATT) that piggy packs on one of the main numbers. If we portal over our main numbers how is an 800 transfer handled? do we need to portal over than number also?

Detailed help is appreciated. Are their installers that can help?

Will
#80676 by murphy
Wed May 04, 2011 2:18 am
To have 4 actual phone lines to feed the 4 line phones you would need two hubs and two scouts or four Telos.
Hubs are no longer manufactured but can sometimes still be found.
A Telo needs a Telo handset to be able to handle calls on two numbers at the same time.

Ooma does not provide rollover capability. The instant second line, which requires a Premier subscription, would do what you want using two hubs and two scouts. You would only have your two main phone numbers. A second call to the first number while the first number was already in use would ring on the device that was not in use for the first call (hub or scout). In other words you could have a total of four calls in progress at the same time with only two phone numbers.

The same can be done with the Telo except there can only be two lines connected to your 4 line phones. The other two calls would have to be on Telo handsets which are connected to the Telo bases via DECT 6 (1.9 GHz) wireless connections.

Each hub or Telo would require it's own Premier subscription.
#80678 by lbmofo
Wed May 04, 2011 6:15 am
Will, you probably want to call into customer service to change out your board handle to something other than your phone number.

Let's say that Will wants to get 4 Telos, I wonder if there are phone systems or devices out there that will make use of the 4 dialtones and do roll over, xfer, hold, and other cool stuff like that.
#80679 by EA PA
Wed May 04, 2011 6:52 am
Better yet, I wonder if he will take all 3 of my "refer a friend" offers?
#80680 by nn5i
Wed May 04, 2011 7:33 am
I'm unsure whether you want one four-line hunt group or two two-line hunt groups. Let's assume one four-liner.

Four Telos and a PBX would probably handle this application. The question is, do you want to purchase a PBX and start managing it, or would you rather manage the store?

Four Telos with their own numbers, any number of four-line wired phones, and Google Voice might do it too. Port your number to GV, have GV multi-ring your four Telos, and any Telo not busy will ring when the GV number is called. If no Telo is busy, all four lines will ring at once with the same call, but that may not be a problem. You wouldn't even need Premier, I think. But perhaps getting the outgoing CallerID the way you want it might be a drag, or even impossible. I don't know enough to answer that.

Me, I'd look for something else.
#80681 by southsound
Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 am
Some thoughts on the OP's needs.

- ooma is a residential VoIP solution. ooma has no problem with you using your system in a home-based business, but I don't know how they would feel about a true B&M 4-line plus 800 service application.

- If the call volume is low to moderate, then a different pay-per-minute VoIP solution might provide better integration into the OP's environment while maintaining a low cost of use. Equipment could be as simple as either two PAP2T ATA's or a four port ATA. The incoming calls could be configured with DID numbers using multiple channels. CID could be set to reflect the company's main number. The 800 number presents no problem and could be ported to the new VoIP provider for even greater potential savings.

- What about fax machines or POS credit card terminals? If the OP switches to ooma and needs these services, they may have some reliability issues.
#80683 by 8587925758
Wed May 04, 2011 8:37 am
Everyone thanks for all the help. We are not looking for a true 4-line hunting system. Two separate numbers, each number using the Premier service, would like to rollover, hunting (whatever the term) so a second line is available. The second line would be used as a tool, when someone else is on the first line.

I'm confused on the equipment selection. Hub's are no longer produced, sounds like the Telo is the one to use? In conjunction with the Telo, a Scout is required to use the existing phone wires? What is the purpose of a SCOUT? So basically I will need four units, additional 4 outlets and all are connected directly from one modem. Is everything connected in series? I'm trying to visually this setup, sounds like a nightmare.

I just switch to OOMA at home and love it. I was hoping it could be interrogated at work, saving $200 a month.

Will
#80687 by murphy
Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 am
A Scout is used with a hub to provide the second physical phone line. They do not work with the Telo.

Four Telos can be connected in series but you have to give them unique IP subnets for it to work.
le.

I would (and did) put them behind the router.
If the router doesn't have enough ports, expand it with a switch.
#80689 by nn5i
Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 am
Murphy, I think you meant "put them behind the router" as an alternative to "connected in series", which to me would mean daisy-chained; but it's unclear. One wouldn't want Telos daisy-chained, of course, because then the last one would have quadruple NAT going, which would be a drag.

I attempted a daisy chain once, but the only result was a lost anchor. Steel chains are stronger.