Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#78808 by cpdavis
Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:54 am
Can I use my answering machine instead of going online to get my messages?

:?: If so, how do I set it up?
#78837 by southsound
Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:47 pm
cpdavis wrote:Can I use my answering machine instead of going online to get my messages?

You can also check your ooma voice mail from any connected telephone by dialing your own number. Also, most modern cordless phones will signal when you have an ooma voice mail by flashing an indicator.
#78924 by nn5i
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:30 pm
southsound wrote:
cpdavis wrote:Can I use my answering machine instead of going online to get my messages?

You can also check your ooma voice mail from any connected telephone by dialing your own number. Also, most modern cordless phones will signal when you have an ooma voice mail by flashing an indicator.

SS, he wants to set up his own answering and not use Ooma's voicemail. All he needs to do is connect his answering machine to the Ooma device in exactly the same way he used to connect it to the wired telephone system.

Some calls will still go to Ooma's voicemail even so -- any call that would not have rung the phone because he ignored a call-waiting beep or for any other reason would not have rung -- if the caller hangs on for a long enough time.
#82079 by murphy
Tue May 24, 2011 12:05 pm
petebelliston wrote:Is there a way to setup OOMA to give a busy signal when the phone is in use instead of 59 rings, then voicemail?

The maximum setting is 59 seconds (not rings) which is slightly more than 9 rings.
There is no way to disable voicemail in my.ooma.
I think that you can call customer support and have voicemail turned off.
However if you do it it's permanent. You can not turn it back on later.
#82100 by lbmofo
Tue May 24, 2011 2:53 pm
petebelliston wrote:Is there a way to setup OOMA to give a busy signal when the phone is in use instead of 59 rings, then voicemail?

If you are wanting to use your own answering machine, the trick is to set Ooma ring duration just long enough that your answering machine would always answer first but still not too long so the call waiting guys would stay until Ooma VM greeting comes on.