Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#78011 by cardnal127
Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:36 pm
Hi folks,
I have a Hub and a scout with Premier Service (2 lines) with a verizon landline.
I want to place my hub and scout together and to hookup a 2 line wireless phone base station.
How do I do it?
Do I split my wall outlet, one to hub,one to scout?
Thanks.
#78019 by southsound
Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:25 pm
This is an easy one. First off, make sure that you have set up your scout as a personal device and assigned your second number to it. The default is to share both numbers between all devices and this is not the best configuration for a 2-line setup. Now connect the WALL ports of the hub and scout with a short modular cable. Most two line cordless base stations use a single modular connection - if your is like this you will need a 2-line splitter to combine the signals on that jack. If it is a 2-line splitter, it will have markings on two of the jacks - one will say L1 or Line 1 and the other will say L2 or Line 2. It may also have a jack that says L1+L2 where you could plug in a modular cord in case there isn't physical room to install the splitter on the back of your base. Connect a modular cable from L1 to the hub PHONE port and a cable from L2 to the scout PHONE port.
#78025 by southsound
Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:22 pm
cardnal127 wrote:Thanks for the swift reply.
So, I dont have to connect with the house wall jack at all?
Even though I still have a landline with the primary number.

Rather important added information. Yes, you will have to connect to the existing landline. You can use a single line splitter to combine the hub WALL port, scout WALL port and the existing landline from your house wiring. Do you have DSL? If so, it can cause some additional issues because the hub and scout communicate using HPNA and that does not play well with DSL.

Are you going to continue to use your existing landline or is this just until you port? The reason I ask is that you have to add features (read: pay more money to the telco) to your landline to get your ooma to perform correctly with caller ID, etc. If it is just a temporary thing, then no problem. If long term, you may want to reconsider your configuration.
#78026 by cardnal127
Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:36 pm
Thanks for the clarification. No DSL, cable modem.
The landline is an alarm/ wife thing. Yes, still pay for local & caller ID to verizon.
Thanks for the help.
OOMA ROCKS!!
#78028 by tomcat
Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:22 pm
cardnal127:
Instead of using your landline with your Ooma, you may want to consider dedicating your landline to your alarm system and using the Ooma for your house phone. This may prove to be a more reliable setup and much easier to troubleshoot if you ever do have issues.
#78039 by murphy
Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:06 am
I concur. My landline is a basic landline with no regional or long distance calling capability. It is only used for the alarm system. No phones ring if a call comes in on it. It is not connected to Ooma.

My Ooma system is used for all voice calls. My long term phone number was ported to Ooma. A new number was put on the landline. No one but me knows what that number is. Not even the alarm company knows unless they recorded it from a panel call in. The number of record for the alarm company to call me is my Ooma phone number.