Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77624 by murphy
Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:17 pm
Do you use OpenDNS or any other DNS server other than what is provided by your ISP.
Accessing the setup page depends on a DNS lookup error happening and OpenDNS intercepts the error.
#77628 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:51 pm
tkocur:
With a network cable connected from you Ooma device's Home port to your comuter's wired LAN port:

Can you ping 172.27.35.1 using your computer. Go to computer click start menu, click on 'Run". A dos window opens. Type ping 172.27.35.1 in the command line.

Next type ipconfig in command line. You should get an IP address like 172.27.35.133. If not continue.

Sometimes a computer's network configuration will change for no reason, especially if connections are disconnected and connected.

If ipconfig didn't show an IP address like 172.27.35.133 do the next step:
If not right click on "My Network Places" and right click on "Properties". Right click on "Local Area LAN", and than right click on "Properties". Scroll down to (but don't uncheck) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the text once. Than click on "properties" below. Make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically is clicked. Make sure Obtain DNS server address automatically is checked. Restart your computer. Type in http://172.27.35.1 or http://setup.ooma.com.

If that don't work, and you have tired with your firewall/virus software disabled, Amazon should replace your Ooma without any problem. You have to notify them first for an exchange.
#77632 by tkocur
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:25 pm
Thunderbird et all,

The mystery has been solved. I followed your instructions regarding TCP/IP properties, and sure enough, my PC was no longer dynamically assigning IP addresses. My 14 year old son and his friend made these modifications earlier today which explains why I could no longer access the Ooma config. I changed it back to assign IP addresses dynamically and I could access the Ooma page.

I also solved my main problem and I am very embarrassed as to what the problem was. It was basic cabling. When I took the contents out of the box, I grabbed the RJ11 telephone cable and plugged that into the ethernet port. This of course broke almost everything. Once I replaced it with RJ45, I was up and running without issue. I now have a running Ooma and an operational home network.

I appreciate everybody's help on this issue. Now I am comfortable enough to port my home phone number to the Ooma