Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77319 by jimmyp
Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 pm
I have a Ooma Telo that is working great except I cannot send outgoing faxes (I'll try incoming later). It is behind my router. Incoming and outgoing calls are excellent. When I fax the receiving fax answers but after about a 30 seconds to a minute of "connecting" it gives a comm. error message (Code 388). Speed test shows upload speed at about 3.2 Mbs.

ECM is off. V.34 setting is off. I'm entering *99, (comma for pause) and then the number. No luck after several attempts. I've read through the posts and haven't located anything yet that I should do differently.

Any help is much appreciated.
#77323 by thunderbird
Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:04 am
jimmyp:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... N#Error386

HP Error Code: 386, 387, 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395
Definition

There is too much noise on the line for a valid connection between two fax machines to complete. The noise problem might go away over time.

HP Solution

Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

Some people, who have Ooma, are able to install DSL filters on their FAX line, which will help with the line "noise" problem. The DSL filter is installed even if you don't have DSL service to your home.
#77373 by jimmyp
Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm
Thanks thunderbird for the information. I picked up a DSL filter this evening and tried to fax to two different numbers several times, same outcome - too much noise. I'm not sure what other options there are for me at this point. I have Charter Cable internet with about 21 mbps down and 3.2 mbps up.
#77454 by jimmyp
Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:14 pm
Well.......

I tried the configuration with the Telo behind the modem but in front of the router and still no faxes will sucessfully send with or without the DSL filter.

Without the fax capability I won't be able to keep ooma. I can only conclude that there's too much line noise with my particular cable service and/or my location, which is a big bummer.

Any other ideas before I throw in the towel?