Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#77041 by gt2016c
Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 pm
Hi,

I have an integrated modem/router and I have just installed Ooma behind it and it is working fine... However, I also have a NAS drive on my LAN which was formerly plugged into the only (one) ethernet port on my integrated modem/router. When I plug the NAS into the the HOME port on the Ooma (trying to pass through the Ooma), I cannot recognize it on my network. I use wireless for all of the other computers, so no permenant ethernet port is usually needed. The configuration that I am trying looks like:

internet -> modem/router (one port) -> Ooma -> NAS

Is this possible, i.e. how do you pass the NAS through the Ooma? I realize that I could buy a switch and place it between the modem/router and Ooma, but I am trying to avoid this. Can I put the Ooma ports in the DMZ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :D
#77278 by Lilly's_Closet
Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:33 pm
A switch is clearly the best situation, however, you can also try changing the IP Scheme that Ooma handing out (on the home port) to match the IP Scheme of your router. Then assign ooma an IP address outside of the DHCP pool that your router handing out.

Alternatively, you can change the IP address of your router to match the IP scheme of the homeport as well. However, if you decide to do this you can only have one device issue DHCP leases, its either going to be ooma or your router not both you will need to turn off DHCP on one of your devices.

While this should work but your mileage may vary, also in effect you would be putting both ports of ooma on the same network and I am not sure how well they communicate when bridged together.