Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76305 by Snowdog
Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am
FYI - Might be helpful for someone:
Ooma Arrived:I did setup last night.

-AT&T for Dry Loop DSL:
Today, Called AT&T to request Dry Loop DSL. We were told we would lose our current phone number when they setup Dry Loop DSL on existing line. We are having an extra AT&T DSL line installed next week ($57 to install) - quickest appt.
Change in our AT&T Bill: $47.95 per month ($5 more than existing DSL line per month) for Dry Loop.
We'll drop existing AT&T DSL line & phone service once our current phone number is safely ported over to Ooma.
* Note: when AT&T asked why - I pleaded ignorance as something my husband wanted me to do while he was at work. *

-ADT Alarm Service:
After AT&T call, I called ADT to ask if their alarm system would work w/ Ooma w/o AT&T landline.
They said yes but it would work via modem instead of running it to AT&T box for landline. My husband is handy with wiring, so he'll do it. Otherwise, ADT Wiring Service is $75 per hr + tax. Wiring might need a photo connector from ADT, it's a one time fee of $25. Once you or ADT connects to DSL modem, ADT will run a test and you are set.

*Ooma rep. told me alarm system takes up alot of bandwidth to run and encouraged me to keep landline, so I'm not sure about speed of DSL after this." The entire point of getting Ooma --- get rid of the landline bills over $30/month on AT&T phone service (even when our phone is disconnected from the wall for a month) bills are crazy. I'll reply after everything is setup to report any changes in Internet speed.

Hope this helps someone. Good Luck!
BTW, we were old very happy VOIP AT&T Call Advantage Customers until AT&T got rid of it.
Now - Looking forward to Ooma!
#76362 by Lilly's_Closet
Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 am
Hi Snowdog,

I am not sure that I agree with everything that you have been told but this info maybe helpful to you when you try to setup your alarm.

Most ADT alarms communicate as modems, in that they do not send out a voice message to the central office. It is very similar to sending a fax.

Alarms signals do not take up more bandwidth than any other telephone call and they are usually short less than 1 minute for a monthly test signal.

The real issue here is that if your VOIP goes down and your house is being robbed well the alarm company will not know about it. Since having ooma a little over 1 year, I have had three outages two lasting at least one day, thank goodness my house wasn’t robbed that day but that is the chance I am taking. VOIP is much more unreliable that your landline. Also if your power or internet goes out then so does your phone service unlike a landline.

I am using the Hub and Scout combo and I had to change 3 settings in my ADT GE Concord 4 alarm to have to dial out successfully to the ADT monitoring center. All the setting are under programming and you will need to have the installer code to make the changes. In addition you have to have the alarm wired correctly to have line interrupt to work.

1. Changed setting in the alarm from (wait for dial tone) to (dial out after waiting a few seconds)

2. Changed the setting in the alarm under (disable call waiting) to use the fax prefix of *99. So basically you have to call OOMA to have them disable call waiting, you can’t just enter a disable code like Ma Bell. So this setting is useless to me except that it allows me to enter the *99. Originally added a pause and *99 at the beginning of the caller center number but that only worked 50 % of the time.

3. Changed the SIA/CID reporting from CID to SIA

Of Note: Most alarm systems have a built-in line voltage meter on the phone line. This is why you will receive a message on the alarm when you alarm is disconnected from a phone line. However, the absence of this message DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU ALARM CAN CALL HOME, only that the alarm is detecting voltage on the phone line.

To truly test that you alarm can call home you either need to do a phone test from the console or call the alarm company and have them put your alarm in test mode and then set off the alarm. Also you need to do a line interrupt test to make sure it can still dial out after the burglar takes the phone off the hook. Easy enough call the alarm company from your ooma phone and then when the alarm dials out it will have to disconnect you first. Many of the people I have spoken to on this forum who claim to have ADT working were sadly disappointed when then did a phone home test to the central monitoring office. They incorrectly thought that if the alarm is not complaining about not having a phone line then the alarm is working. Good luck and I hope that this helps. It certainly took me long enough to figure it out.
#79132 by Snowdog
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am
UPDATE:
AT&T Setup Dry Loop DSL completed
Porting our old phone number to Ooma - no problem. ;)

AT&T Bill for April DSL switchover: TOTAL $94.45 :o ($47.95 setup and who knows about the rest).
My husband said it was pro-rated with AT&T and bill from now - $47.95/month for the dry loop.
AT&T gave us another phone number and different time of month for bill.

:? We already paid $27.80 early in the month - final AT&T phone service bill. Thank goodness no more.
When we got the second AT&T's bill for DSL - it was a shocker. :shock:

:( Problem with ADT Alarm System: Our alarm system is on Ooma via wall jack. We have CP and CH show up on our display and alarm goes off at different times of the night :cry: and day unexpectantly. We were told we need a $175 adaptor for a modem connection. Post adaptor, our $35.99/ monthly bill would go up an additional $5 a month = $40.99/month. Ugh. Without the adaptor & added $5 service cost - our alarm will work but won't communicate with ADT.
In total, this change will cost us BIG the first year and we'll be well into the 2nd year before we feel the savings. :cry:
#79138 by tomcat
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:40 am
Snowdog wrote: :( Problem with ADT Alarm System: Our alarm system is on Ooma via wall jack. We have CP and CH show up on our display and alarm goes off at different times of the night :cry: and day unexpectantly. We were told we need a $175 adaptor for a modem connection. Post adaptor, our $35.99/ monthly bill would go up an additional $5 a month = $40.99/month. Ugh. Without the adaptor & added $5 service cost - our alarm will work but won't communicate with ADT.
In total, this change will cost us BIG the first year and we'll be well into the 2nd year before we feel the savings. :cry:

Are you saying that your alarm system is plugged into the "Wall" port on the Ooma? If so, this could be part of your problem. The "Wall" port serves no purpose unless you are using Landlaine Integration which I don't believe you are. Your system will need to plug into your Ooma's Phone port in order to call out.

Hope this helps.
#79140 by Lilly's_Closet
Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 pm
Hi Snowdog,

Troubleshooting your alarm with ooma can be very frustrating but the first thing that you need to do is to find out why the alarm is going off. Call ADT and ask them what type of signal they are getting when the alarm goes off or if they are even getting a signal from you. If they are not getting a signal from you then you can have them walk you thought checking the keypad to retrieve log for your most recent alarm event.

Unfortunately, I suspect that that its telling you that its can’t call and or you are having some issues with Line Seizure.

http://mysite.verizon.net/reliance.3/line_seizure.htm

Also, download your alarm manual for the internet and if it is a pdf document do a find on SIA (that way you don't have to read through the whole manual)

What you looking for is if you can change your reporting protocol from CIA to SIA If you can't change your reporting from CID SIA then more than likely your alarm will not work without the adapter
#79231 by Snowdog
Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 am
UPDATE:
CP is fixed. :)

Ooma Phone Port is connected to the Wall Jack which is providing dial tones to the other phones in the house.
tomcat wrote:Are you saying that your alarm system is plugged into the "Wall" port on the Ooma? If so, this could be part of your problem. The "Wall" port serves no purpose unless you are using Landlaine Integration which I don't believe you are. Your system will need to plug into your Ooma's Phone port in order to call out.

The Alarm System is also connected to a Wall Jack and it passes a self test. ;)
The Alarm System is not connected to the Ooma box - sorry, it probably read like that.
I meant the house Wall Jack.

It can dial ADT. It does the self time and does dial out.
But, ADT can't communicate with us but we can communicate with them.

CH Trouble on the display means Upload / Download Failure - can't do updates from ADT.
A string has to be programmed with pauses, etc...... to solve it.
Can't do it unless you know the codes on your own alarm system which is something ADT has to provide (I believe).

Thanks Lilly's Closet about the manual headups up. ;)
We got the manual pdf wise and hunted for codes to fix it but still probably need ADT over the phone for a walk through.

If you know FIX: codes with pauses to fix CH Trouble ....... that would be great.
#79233 by southsound
Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 am
Snowdog wrote:
Ooma Phone Port is connected to the Wall Jack which is providing dial tones to the other phones in the house.

The Alarm System is not connected to the Ooma box - sorry, it probably read like that.
I meant the house Wall Jack.

It can dial ADT. It does the self time and does dial out.
But, ADT can't communicate with us but we can communicate with them.

Even if you can get the system to communicate I have one caution. In your present configuration, with your PHONE port feeding your home wiring and your alarm system plugged into a wall jack, your alarm system will not have any way to control the phone line in the house. The feature is called line seizure because it allows an alarm system to disconnect your phones when it is in an alarm state. Without this feature, a person could break in, hurry to a phone, pick it up, and make noise which would disable the alarm report. Properly wired alarm systems use an RJ31X jack to facilitate line seizure. Your dial tone source (either the utility or ooma) enters the jack and the other connections on the jack feed your phone wiring.
#79252 by Lilly's_Closet
Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:15 pm
southsound is correct in that your configuration as you have described it will not work with line seizure. The easiest way to get ooma to work with line seizure still in play would be to do the following if you already had an alarm installed.

More than likely, there is a small connector in your alarm panel that is handling the line seizure but because you have plugged your ooma into a wall jack, your phone connection is being placed in front of the device handling the seizure.
The easiest fix is strip an old phone wire down to the individual wires on one end and the phone connector on the other end.
If you look at the hole on the ooma box where you plugged it into your wall jack you will see that only two of the wires are actually connected, take note of which wires (colors) ooma is using. Now plug that phone connector from the phone wire into ooma.

On the other end where you have the bare wire splice that into the tip and ring of the Cat 5 or telephone cable that Verizon was using coming into your house. Splice it into the wire prior to the punch down block.
Now you are setup just like Verizon.

While this is not rocket, science I would consider it more for the advanced user.

You can test this by calling ADT and having them put you alarm system in Test mode and while still on the phone with ADT setting off the alarm, it should disconnect you and SUCESSFULLY call ADT. If that went through excellent Line, seizure is working on your system.

I am in a rush but will try to clean up my instructions latter also with regard to your making changes on the alarm you will need the installer code. If you know the name of the company that installed the unit then you can call them (usually a 3 party reseller of ADT) they usally use the same code for all their installs, also sometimes they leave it as the default which can be found in the manual. In addition, you can usually find what variable (, # or whatever) your alarm needs to give it a few second pause in the alarm manual.

In short, what this does is it preserves your exiting wiring exactly as it was with Verizon and bridges ooma at the same junction point where Verizon was coming in.