Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#76288 by ladyblues83
Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 pm
I want to port my current phone number. I have DSL connection and I need to separate the DSL service with the phone service if they are delivered on the same line. I use VoIP as my current phone service. Will I lose my DSL connection if I set up the Ooma? We pay different companies for DSL and phone service, but not sure if the VoIP and DSL are on the same line. There is not a separate phone line that connects directly into the VoIP. Please help. How would I clear things up if this is on an individual basis? Thanks.
#76289 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am
If you have VoIP, you don't have to worry about DSL service interruption when your phone number port completes.

I recommend that you activate Ooma using an Ooma assigned number. Forward your current VoIP number to your temp Ooma number. Then just use your Ooma once activated until porting is complete (ordering number port is a separate action after Ooma activation; outgoing callerid will reflect your temp Ooma number until you port your number). I know of at lease one VoIP company that has to have the device turned on for call forwarding to work so you may still have to keep your VoIP device turned on while porting is taking place.