Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#75673 by nmvega
Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 am
Hello Friends:

I have an Ooma Telo device.

If I buy any phone (vTech, Uniden, Panasonic, Samsung, whomever), that indicates it is DECT 6 compatible,
does this mean it will work (i.e. wirelessly couple with) with my Ooma Telo base station?

This is such a simply question, I admit,... but it comes from not even knowing about DECT 6 technology at
all, until I just received my Ooma Telo device.

Right now I have a traditional Uniden base station wired into my Ooma Telo via a RJ-11 cable. (along
with the Uniden remote handsets). But I want to get rid of that Uniden base station altogether (and it's
associated hand sets), and instead replace them with DECT 6 remote handsets that I would couple with
my Ooma Telo. Reason is simple -- saves electricity (one less base station), and less clutter.

Anyway, back to my original question...

If I buy any phone (vTech, Uniden, Panasonic, Samsung, whomever), that indicates it is DECT 6 compatible,
does this mean it will work (i.e. wirelessly couple with) with my Ooma Telo base station?

If anyone has any good or bad experiences with a model they are using, let me know too.

Thank you & Regards,
nmvega
#75674 by murphy
Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:51 am
The answer is no.

Only Ooma Telo handsets will communicate with the Telo base station.
#75675 by nmvega
Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:52 am
Btw I forgot to mention...

I only want to buy handsets & chargers that can be coupled directly to my Ooma Telo, without the need
for it's own base station... (because if it needs it's own base station, that would defeat the purpose).

I saw the not-so-hot reviews for Ooma's own handset, so I don't necessarily want that one. :D Thanks.
#75677 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am
You can buy any DECT 6.0 phone, plug into the Telo "phone" port and the phone system will work. You can't get Premier features to work unless you get Telo handset though.
#75711 by nextbond
Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:56 pm
You could buy a DECT phone that has bluetooth which you could pair up with your Telo (no base required). However dont know how many bluetooth pairs Telo can handle.
#75713 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:58 pm
nextbond wrote:dont know how many bluetooth pairs Telo can handle.

You can pair up to 7 devices, phone or headset.
#75796 by oldanbo
Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:00 pm
nextbond wrote:You could buy a DECT phone that has bluetooth which you could pair up with your Telo (no base required). However dont know how many bluetooth pairs Telo can handle.

Are you actually doing this, or have you tried it? I have paired two cells and one or two headsets, but never thought of BT capable BT Dect6 handset.

Regards,
Dan