Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#75110 by radunnrq
Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:53 am
I installed Ooma several days ago as follows:
1. Ooma is connected between my cable modem and my router.
2. My wall plug is connected to the Ooma WALL socket.
3. The Ooma PHONE socket is connected to the input of a Home Plug that is plugged into my power strip.
4. The other end of the Home Plug is connected to one of our phones.
5. My office phone, in a different room,is connected to a receiver Home Plug and works just fine.
6. The kitchen phone is connected to a QWest phone wall outlet.
7. Both QWest lines are disconnected from the house outside at the junction box.

Now, here is the problem. The phone in the bedroom connected to the outlet socket of the Home Plug sending unit works fine. THe office phone connected to the receiver Home Plug works fine. The kitchen phone, plugged into the wall plug that was formerly QWest does not have a dial tone and does not work.

Finally, the house contains two wall sockets while we have three phones and a heart monitor from Medtronics.

Now, what changes may I make in order to have all three phones work as well as the heart monitor (which is just another specialized phone)?

I appreciate, in advance, your help.
#75111 by radunnrq
Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 am
I've attached a pdf file showing my current setup to add to my previous post. I hope this makes it a bit clearer.
Attachments
Visio Diargram of Current Setup
(148.61 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
#75112 by murphy
Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:13 am
The Wall jack on the Ooma does not have a dial tone.
If it's a Telo, the Wall jack is only used for landline integration.
If it's a hub, the Wall jack is also used to communicate with a Scout.

You must feed your wall jacks from the Ooma Phone plug.
#75115 by radunnrq
Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:49 am
Thank you for the quick reply and that explains part of the problem.

Now, once I hook the Telo to the wall jack then all else appears to have to run from the landline. That provides me with only one remaining wall jack on the land line. Is it best to add another wall outlet in the bedroom and run the Home Plug from that connection or is there a better way?

Thanks.
#75121 by murphy
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm
Another wall outlet is cleaner but a standard 1 to 2 splitter will let you feed both devices into one wall outlet.
If your house lines 1 and 2 already wired you could put the Ooma feed on line 1 and the home plug feed on line 2.
#75138 by radunnrq
Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm
Super, I will try one of those options. Ooma Customer Suport told me I couldn't do that when I talked to them earlier today but this sounds very logical.

I appreciate your help very much and do love the system.
#75693 by radunnrq
Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:25 pm
Your suggestion was spot on. I had, by error, connected my wall outlet to the Wall plug in the Telo. Once I went over the instructions for the umpteenth time I realized that the Phone connection on the Telo was to be connected to the wall and the Wall connection on Telo was to be left unconnected.

I also installed a five for one splitter and that has worked like a champ.

My only suggestion is to make the labels on the Telo much clearer.

Thanks again for your excellent help. :D