Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#74949 by oom101
Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 pm
While youc are testing try 0 down and up. Works best for me, and does not slow down your computer.
#74956 by danlisman
Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:31 am
oom101 wrote:While youc are testing try 0 down and up. Works best for me, and does not slow down your computer.

Do you have Ooma between Modem and router?? Or after router?
Thanks
Dan
#74980 by EA PA
Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:34 am
Mine is Modem / OOMA / Router.

If behind router, you would adjust QoS in router setup under gaming section and leave OOMA QoS disabled. I checked my Linksys E2000 setup and found that that it has a field for upload speed as well similar to OOMA. Interesting.

If I get better results Ill try other options like 0 when I get a chance. Then again, if it works with wife blessing level of reliability im not sure I want to risk it....
#75057 by EA PA
Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:50 am
Well - I tried - I guess Ill never really know how this is designed. :?

The question I was trying to get across was simply, what is the design of the QoS in OOMA when in between modem and router? When I compare OOMA QoS to router QoS, I note that my router allows you to enter upload speed - but with a purpose - the purpose is to then allocate bandwidth to your preferences relative to different devices / applications / ports / mac addresses etc. You set the real upload speed and also low, normal, medium or high priorities to your gizmos. This makes sense. If I want to set high priority to gaming or VOIP when configured behind the router vs a PC as an example, the router calculates allocated bandwidth to these devices using a % of real upload speed. I get this.

With OOMA connected between modem and router, there is only 1 application to consider - VOIP. So with only 1 application to consider, what am I setting? As others have suggested, is the QoS setting actually the OOMA VOIP bandwidth allocated? Or is it real upload speed? If real upload speed and considering the documented 130 kbps internally allocated for the VOIP requirement, if I set upload speed QoS for something less than real upload speed, aren't I then reducing upload speed throughput from my router?

I have read and received 2 differing recommendations via OOMA documentation and email to use real upload speed and also 15 or 20% less. From the latest below, it looks like its an upload throttle to me. Oh well, I gave it a shot - I give in. Ill never get the real design detail I guess. Ill wing it. Below is the latest email:

Mine to OOMA

I am still not clear on how your QoS works. With a new router, when QoS is
enabled, you can enter the real upload bandwidth and also the % allocation
of bandwidth to various applications according to your preferences. In this
application, total real upload bandwidth is required so each application can
be allocated the desired bandwidth.

With the OOMA in between the modem and router, essentially there is only 1
application for QoS to consider (OOMA VOIP). So does this mean that the QoS
value is the desired bandwidth assigned to VOIP when in service?

Answer

Thank you for contacting Ooma Customer Support. Let me try to clarify your concern about the Ooma QoS.

We normally recommend our customers to configure the QoS of the Ooma when it is in front of the router. (modem > OOMA > router) In this manner, whichever upload and download speed set to the QoS of the Ooma will be the speed that would be allocated to the device while it is in use.

In addition to that, our suggestion is to set upload internet speed to 85%. In other words,

TOTAL UPLOAD SPEED (in KBPS) X 0.85 = UPSTREAM INTERNET SPEED FOR OOMA

Thus, you can keep the downstream internet speed of Ooma device to 0.

In case that you will connect your Ooma behind your router, (modem > router > OOMA) I suggest you to disable the QoS of the Ooma.

So, UPSTREAM and DOWNSTREAM should be set to 0.
In connection to that, you will need to play with the QoS settings of your router device. You can contact your router manufacturer for better suggestions about bandwith allocation.

If you have further questions or require additional clarification, please write me back and I will respond to you as quickly as possible, usually the same day. Your satisfaction is important to me, and I will make sure we bring this to resolution consistent with your expectations. If it’s more convenient, you can also visit our support website https://www.ooma.com/support and check out our wide variety of helpful articles that may answer any additional questions that might come up in the future.

Thank you for choosing Ooma!

Sincerely,

Mico
#75090 by oom101
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am
It has been my observation that if Ooma QOS is not 0, then there is throttling of the connection through the Ooma.
I used speedtest.net, and Brighthouse. I am cable modem-ooma-pc with Ooma set to 0 up and down, because I do not want Ooma throttling my 20MB down and 1.5 MB up connection, at any time.
I do see upload throttled if I am on the phone, after most of the upload test is completed, and voice disruption, but I usually do big uploads to idrive.com at end of day only.
#75091 by oom101
Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:35 am
By the way, my observations were on Hub and then onTelo. Same situation on upload happened.
If you sent email to support@oomacare.com and asked to have your question escalated, that's probably best you can do.
#75097 by EA PA
Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:47 am
Yep - thanks. I get a feeling that they dont want to share the design concept or detail. The documents I read (obviously older) indicate that routers dont do a very good job at guessing at upload speeds (directly quoted in previous email from support by the way) - so OOMA fixed by adding upload speed with some algorithm that they wont share is my guess. What is amazing to me is that my router manual describes all of this in detail - OOMA docs say very little except some conceptual stuff that you have to search for. I am going to set mine a few % less than measured. I still believe from some of their conceptual docs that this is a throttling mechanism to balance throughput to the real upload speed because its easier to control the packet priority from voice. Of course this is all guesswork without some clues from design, and frankly they wore me out trying to answer a simple question. Just not that important - I just hate setting values and not knowing the design detail...
#75170 by oom101
Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 am
Did byouever say if you are Hub or Telo?
It seems that the Hub is hardware, and the Telo is a computer.
So, maybe they are stuck with however the Hub was designed, but maybe they can adjust the Telo, which adds more confusion. I still thing 0 up and down is best for me (full speed ahead), but I might have only tested on a Hub (don't remember), and I have cable turbo (20mb down, 1.5mb up).
#75185 by EA PA
Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:34 am
Im late to the VOIP game - I got Telo a month or so ago. I am unfortunately limited to 0.5 Mbps up via my provider - so I was thinking that because of my upload limits, that I need to hit the sweet spot in setup. I made about 50 calls yesterday with new QoS setting without *99 and I am still running about 15% failure rate in the I / they cant hear issue.

Tomorrow Ill try another flurry of local calls with *99 to compare the results. Eventually Ill try the 0 up QoS test. I need to find the sweet spot or Ill have to drop the OOMA or go to a limited landline service for local calls maybe - hybrid solution until the port / full duplex issues are worked out. I suspect Choice One may be having some issues. I have seen this in other posts as well.

I hope that I can work this out, I love the concept and software package. I just cant get my wife on board without better reliability. I have never been able to beat like 12% failure rate over a day of calling - An interesting statistic is that I always seem to have between 12 and 16% failure of the full duplex (or whatever) on OB calls over a single day of calling regardless of settings. This is why I suspect the outside hardware guys.. All of my myriad tests show good connectivity. Ill keep trying and posting. Ive been with old telecom for more years than I would like to admit, so Ill keep going. BUT...Id love to get some cost benefit here at some point.
#75197 by thunderbird
Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am
Information only:
If the Ooma device is placed behind your router, setting the Ooma device's QoS upload and download settings to about 2000 to 4000 kbps above your measured upload/download speeds, has helped some people.