Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#73175 by kidfried
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:35 pm
Thanks for reading.
Recently activated ooma on one house jack/phone outside my router. Have not cancelled comcast phone line yet as I'm porting the #. Is it possible for me to disconnect house from comcast phone line and have ooma activate all the jacks in the house (prior to getting the # ported)? How? Would it be helpful for me to post an image of my setup where the phone line enters the house? Currently only the one jack gets the ooma dial tone.
#73176 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:50 pm
Currently, is your Comcast dialtone powering the whole house (maybe Comcast took care of your NIB disconnect for you)? If so, just have Ooma's "phone" port feed the house jack that currently your Comcast box is feeding. It might still be a good idea to check whether your house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company though.

Here is an example NIB box. If yours looks like this, just make sure the modular plug is unplugged (or wires are off the screw terminals).

NIB Example.jpg
NIB Example.jpg (17.68 KiB) Viewed 13640 times

If you are "using your own number" to run your Ooma, make sure your Comcast box is feeding dialtone to your Ooma's "wall" port.

If you are using your Ooma using an Ooma assigned number, you can forward your Comcast # to your Ooma number.
#73630 by Cataphract
Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:27 pm
I just got my number ported yesterday and the Verizon line was disconnected yesterday as well.

I am trying to activate the other jacks in the house and my question is do i still need to do something at the outside box (NIB?) before i try to plug a cable from the Ooma's wall jack in to the wall outlet jack in the house?

Ooma's documentation confused me as I my thought is that i don't need to do anything at the outside box since my service is already disconnected. Is this true?
#73631 by murphy
Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:34 pm
Cataphract wrote:I just got my number ported yesterday and the Verizon line was disconnected yesterday as well.

I am trying to activate the other jacks in the house and my question is do i still need to do something at the outside box (NIB?) before i try to plug a cable from the Ooma's wall jack in to the wall outlet jack in the house?

Ooma's documentation confused me as I my thought is that i don't need to do anything at the outside box since my service is already disconnected. Is this true?

No it's not true. The Verizon service is disconnected but the line is still hot. You must physically disconnect Verizon. Otherwise you are forcing the Ooma box to drive a signal all of the way back to the Verizon central office. That's a load it was not designed to handle. Go to the NIB and disconnect from the Verizon line.
#73634 by Cataphract
Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 pm
murphy wrote:
Cataphract wrote:I just got my number ported yesterday and the Verizon line was disconnected yesterday as well.

No it's not true. The Verizon service is disconnected but the line is still hot. You must physically disconnect Verizon. Otherwise you are forcing the Ooma box to drive a signal all of the way back to the Verizon central office. That's a load it was not designed to handle. Go to the NIB and disconnect from the Verizon line.

Thanks for your response murphy. I will try doing that tomorrow. Btw, I have DSL service with Verizon. So i guess i will need to get a 3 way splitter where the first jack will Bring DSL in, the second I can use to plug in from ooma's "Phone" port to activate other jacks in the house and then the third one, I can use to take it to the cordless phone that I am using on this level of the house?
Am i on the right track with the above assumptions?
#73635 by Cataphract
Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:17 pm
lbmofo wrote:Also, Ooma's "phone" port has the dialtone so you'd need to connect that to the house wall jack.

lbmofo - I saw your exchanges on this thread -http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10261, with someone who also had DSL and my knowledge in this area is even more limited than that user so I am already sweating this. :D

I will take pics of the NIB tomorrow and will start asking questions, unfortunately. :D
#73638 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:43 pm
Welcome Cataphract.

If you have DSL still, your NIB should look like this? With blue pair connected to the screw terminals?

If so, just take the blue pair off the screw terminals, clip the metal leads and leave them hanging free not connected to anything. (if you have more than 1 set of blue pair wires connected to the screws, then you'd need to connect them together (ring with ring and tip with tip) using some kind of butt/splice connectors) Connect the orange pair to the screw terminals instead; orange is ring (red screw) and white with orange stripe is tip (green screw).

lbmofo wrote:At the NIB outside your house, you can have the DSL come in the house via L2. Just modify 1 wall jack to use L2 and connect up your DSL modem.

L1 which most, if not all your house jacks are wired to will be available for you to distribute the Ooma dialtone.

lbmofo wrote:Make sure L1 is not connected to the telephone company at the NIB, connect "phone" port of Ooma to any wall jack (L1) and you'd have Ooma dialtone everywhere in your house.

Use one of the splitters below and connect it to the house jack near the DSL modem. Connect the modem to L2 of the splitter. Connect "phone" port of Ooma to L1 of the splitter and you should have Ooma dialtone everywhere in the house. Since you are using the splitter pictured below, you don't need to modify the wall jack near the modem. Since you disconnected the blue pair from the screw terminals, you already disconnected L1 from the phone company (now, you have L2, orange pair, connected to the phone company for DSL).
#73986 by kidfried
Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 am
lbmfo, thanks for replying. Im so slow in getting this together. My nib box (or what i think it is) is a little different from the image you posted. Im posting what I think mine is, and it's a got a rats nest of wires. Just want to see if this thing in my picture is the mod to disconnect or not before i go ahead and disconnect. Thanks.
Attachments
df_110130_0813-Edit-Edit.jpg
nib & modular plug?
df_110130_0813-Edit-Edit.jpg (116.7 KiB) Viewed 13379 times
df_110130_0822-Edit.jpg
df_110130_0822-Edit.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 13379 times
df_110130_0819-Edit.jpg
blue and white cables from what i think is the nib box go to this plus.
df_110130_0819-Edit.jpg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 13379 times
#74027 by lbmofo
Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm
The first pic looks like a junction vs NIB. I am guessing one wire bunch comes in from the NIB outside and then at this pictured junction, all the house wires are connected to it (1 wire pair is from NIB and 3 wire pairs go into the house).

What's the 2nd pic? Is that your cable modem? You shouldn't need any of the phone ports on there right?

If all my assumptions are correct, then you'd need to figure out what wire bunch is coming from outside the house. This wire pair would carry your DSL signal.

Seems either a green/red or white/blue is coming in from outside carrying DSL. You can make things consistent and change it so that the DSL will come in via black/yellow or white/orange (L2). Then at the junction, connect up the L2 coming in from outside to only the L2 of wire bunch going into the wall jack that your DSL modem will connect to.

(Unless it is really true that there is no NIB outside the house, then the DSL pair coming in will have to be L1)

You can use the 2 wire butt connector (tip to tip, ring to ring).
IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

Connect the 3 L1 wires at the junction going into the house using 3 wire butt connector (3 tips together, 3 rings together).
IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

or you can leverage the junction screw terminals for the L1 wires (take off the NIB L1 from the screw terminals).

After you've done this, you have DSL coming into 1 jack only via L2.

All your L1s in the house are connected together so you can use one of them L1, L2, L1+L2 splitters at the DSL modem jack to feedback your Ooma dialtone via L1 port while getting DSL signal via L2 port.

I know this all sounds very messy so please take a look and let me know if you have questions; we'll walk through them. There are many ways to do this so we can talk about other options too.