Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#72815 by fawcett6
Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:54 am
Hello there,

I began porting process a few days ago and wanted to know if I need to shut off my vonage portal and wait for the porting process to occur. Currently I am using the vonage portal and just thought I would wait until it is shut off by vonage and then install my Ooma device. Does anyone know if I will cause a problem with the porting process by doing this?

Thanks,
Matt
#72816 by highq
Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:15 pm
Federal law gives you, the user of a phone number, the right to have it ported from one carrier to another. If you cancel your use of the number at your current carrier, they return it to their pool for new subscribers, and the new company, when it knocks on the door and asks for your number, well, it's no longer your number. If you cancel your use of a number, you also cancel that legal right to direct it to be ported.
#72921 by sloan
Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:55 pm
I had my Vonage ported to Ooma. Everything went smooth and on time. You will want to call Vonage 24 hours after your number port has been completed so that they can cancel your number from their servers.
#72993 by Givmeabrek
Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 am
Easy as can be. Unplug Vonage and replace with Ooma. Forward your Vonage number to your temporary Ooma number. When porting is complete Vonage will send you a notice that your account has been canceled. Your Ooma will now be working on its own. No hassle, no service phone calls necessary. Your phone number will continue to work throughout this process. :D