Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#72112 by spdinny
Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:23 am
Hi all,
My number port completed on 1/3/2011 flawlessly & on time.
Here's my hardware, could use some help with my setup:
1: I've got the hub & scout
2: Modem/router combo smc1804wg from Time Warner(roadrunner)
3: former carrier Verizon NIB with swingaway connectors.
4: Uniden cordless base with 1 satelite
5: corded wall phone in kitchen ( with scout)
6: satelite in bedroom #2
7. corded phone on nitestand in bedroom #1

Here's my setup:
PC to ooma hub home port.
uniden base to phone port on hub
wall port on hub to phone wall outlet
kitchen phone to scout
I've pulled the swingaway connectors from the NIB, but am unable to completely close the box now.

I've got the ooma dialtone on all phones EXCEPT #7 above.
Yesterday I had a landline dialtone on that phone, but today it's dead.

My questions:
How to get ooma dialtone to corded phone in bedroom #1 ?
What to do about the swinaway connectors on NIB ?
#72114 by southsound
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:11 am
spdinny wrote: My questions:
How to get ooma dialtone to corded phone in bedroom #1 ?
What to do about the swinaway connectors on NIB ?

We're glad that your port went well! Both questions have easy answers.

To distribute dialtone to your bedroom 1 and any other phone jacks in the house, you must combine the signal from the WALL and PHONE ports. I believe a splitter came with your ooma core package. You can use this one or buy one at any dollar store. After you combine the two signals, you can plug your scout or a regular phone into any phone jack you choose. Some folks without Premier use their scout as a voicemail only terminal and connect their phone directly to the same jack using a splitter. This can eliminate some of the audio quality problems that affect some scouts.

As to the NIB - since you cannot close the door with the lines disconnected via the swingouts, you will need to disconnect them by removing the wires from the screw terminals on the "customer" side. If you have multiple wires at each screw, keep them connected together by using wire nuts or scotchlock connectors (available at Home Depot or Lowes). The scotchlock connectors have a gel filling that keeps out moisture. In a pinch, you can just twist the wires together and tape them, but I would not consider this a permanent solution.
#72115 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:12 am
SouthSound beat me to the punch :)

Your NIB probably looks like this with screw terminals?

You'll need to take the wires off the screw terminals. Keep wires coming off the same screw terminal connected together (if more than 1 wire per screw terminal) using these:

IDEAL 85-950 2 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot (they have a 3 wire version too)

To get dialtone to your bedroom phone, you feed "phone" port of Ooma to your house wall jack. You can combine the "wall" & "phone" port of Ooma using the duplex splitter that came with your Ooma before feeding into the wall jack. That way, Scout plugged into other wall jacks would work as well as a phone.
#72116 by southsound
Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:15 am
Thanks for the great pictures, lbmofo. That's why I beat you to posting. Raccoons sometimes struggle with reaching pictures.

#72121 by spdinny
Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:44 am
Thanks guys,
That picture is exactly what my NIB looks like except
I have 6 swingouts as opposed to the 2 in the picture.

As a follow-up question, if I DON'T wish to distribute the internal
phone wiring(i.e. NO service in bedroom #1) , can I put the swingouts back in & close the NIB?
#72143 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:09 pm
spdinny wrote:That picture is exactly what my NIB looks like except
I have 6 swingouts as opposed to the 2 in the picture.

The swingouts without any wires attached to the screw terminals would be just empty ones.

spdinny wrote:As a follow-up question, if I DON'T wish to distribute the internal
phone wiring(i.e. NO service in bedroom #1) , can I put the swingouts back in & close the NIB?

Yes, but I wouldn't connect "phone" port of Ooma to any wall jacks in the house because your house wiring would still be connected to the telephone company (unless you get the wires off the screw terminals).
#72144 by spdinny
Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:36 pm
got the wires off the NIB & temporarily have electrical taped them, until i get to home depot.

Phone in bedroom #1 now getting ooma dialtone.
Once again thanks guys for the help
#72146 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 pm
spdinny wrote:got the wires off the NIB & temporarily have electrical taped them, until i get to home depot.

If you had only 1 wire per screw, then you just take them off the screw, cut the exposed metal leads and you're done.
#72501 by vicwojcik
Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:57 am
Very good info.
In one reply above, there are two sentences where I could use some help. "To distribute dialtone to your bedroom 1 and any other phone jacks in the house, you must combine the signal from the WALL and PHONE ports. I believe a splitter came with your ooma core package". I don't believe that I had a splitter. What does the splitter look like and what do you split with it?
thanks,