Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#71998 by Bonac81
Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:32 am
tried hooking up the Telo w/o the router (Modem-->Telo-->Computer) and still can't access the internet. I could access setup.ooma.com from the computer (so there must be some connection), and tried "Use Built In" w/o success. I did put the router back in the mix (Modem-->router-->Telo-->computer) and tried to ping the router w/o success. But it doesn't appear to be a router issue since I could not access Internet with only the Modem-->Telo-->Computer set up. Telo works great in all these setups...
#72000 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:18 am
Bonac81:

Note: When the Ooma Telo is connected behind the Router, Most people don't use the Home Port except to configure the Ooma Telo. One reason is that the home’s network ends up with two separate LANs, the router’s LAN, and the Ooma Telo LAN. Depending on how things are configured, you may have security problems, and problems communicating between devices connected to each LAN. If a home wired network needs more ports, buy a good "Switch" and connect to your router, which will multiply the wired network connections.

So you really don't need to go any farther because the important things, and what you need works. But if you want to, you can try the following.

Warning: If you can't set: “Modem Port MAC Address”, to select “Use built in”:, you probably shouldn't use the procedure below! It would be better to contact Ooma support about this problem.

Ooma Telo Static IP Address Setup behind (LAN side) of Router and Place Ooma Telo In Router's DMZ
1. Setup a static IP address for your Ooma Telo.
a. Determine either through your router’s manual, or by accessing your router’s display pages with a computer browser and viewing menu items; if your router is capable of assigning a static IP address to a device. My router calls this process “Add DHCP Reservation”. If your router can assign static IP addresses; with your Ooma Telo connected to your router, determine by viewing router menus, the following and record:
i. IP address that the router has assigned to the Ooma Telo (Probably look like 192.168.1.199). (You could assign a new open router IP address, but this seems easier).
ii. Subnet mask number (Probably 255.255.255.0)
iii. Router IP address (Probably look like 192.168.1.1)
b. Access your Ooma Telo home port by plugging in a patch cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
c. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
d. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
e. Under “Network Settings” go to network connection: select the down arrow with your mouse and select “Static IP Address”.
f. Skip over PPPoE Options, and go to “Static IP Options”.
g. Enter the following:
i. IP Address: enter the IP address that your Router has assigned and you recorded above. (Verify, be very careful and don’t make typos).
ii. Net Mask: add Subnet mask number that you recorded above.
iii. DNS Server 1: enter the router IP address that you recorded above.
iv. DDS Server 2: Do Nothing.
v. Router Address: enter the router IP address that you recorded above from your router.
vi. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select “Use built in”:
vii. Record the Built in MAC address for use in your router later.
viii. Select the Update button.
h. Go back to your router display pages and input/verify the same information for establishing a static IP address for your Ooma Telo, using the router’s menu items. (My router does this process almost automatically. I locate the Ooma Telo’s Built in MAC address from a list located in my router’s menu items. I enter the name Ooma Telo Modem for the device name, than hit enter, than I save).
i. Than place the Ooma Telo’s static IP address into your Router’s DMZ, reference your router’s manual.
j. Do a “cold boot” of the router.
k. After the router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma Telo.
Try it and good luck.